Patrick Leigh-Pemberton: On the seemingly mythical concept of summer

Pat Pat gives us some tough summer lovin’.

We are entering the twilight of the term. Deadlines are piling up, and the midnight that is exams is on the horizon. All hope seems to be lost, and nothing can actually be done to stop this process of doom and gloom. Well, nothing really. There is of course the increasing sunshine, and the longer days, which for many people are the things which cause inordinate amounts of cheer, and poetry. But for us, they mostly mean that after supper, it is still light when we walk to the library, which is actually quite depressing for two reasons, which I shan’t explain, but if you think you know what they are, don’t bother to write.

This would appear to be the mood of many people in this town, and I am afraid that I have limited to no sympathy on this count. Of course there is work, we are at University. Of course you are expected to study, you are a student. The passing of time does not have to make you question this decision any more than any number of other factors that can have an effect on your quality of life. In fact, I think we should all embrace this wonderful weather, rather than prancing around saying “I hate it when it is sunny and I have work”. Can’t we just be happy for those outside the concrete and sheet glass walls of this factory like book learning based hell? And if we can’t, then can’t we just enjoy the warm glow that the sun gives as it shines through the aforementioned sheet glass? Well, if we can’t do that, then we are going to have to think of something else. And don’t worry, because whilst you were reading that, I came up with something wonderful.

Rather than sparring about library hours and words/days ‘til deadline, we can start talking about something that is bound to inspire each and every one of us. Let’s start talking about Summer Holidays. They are just around the corner, and they represent nigh on 4 months of unbridled bliss. (Or for the slavework junkies amongst you, maybe 3 months of unpaid work in a suit and tie, with commuting and bosses to contend with, and two weeks of genuine young person fun). But I think that this opportunity represents a chance to soothe the souls of those suffering seemingly ceaseless supplies of studies and the related Sisyphean struggle. We can all spread around us the warm cloak of summer bliss, almost two months before anyone else is even considering it. And the wonder of this is that you begin to discover untold numbers of others who have similar plans to you. They may know better ways of doing what you hope to do, as they may have done it before, or they just may have local knowledge that hereunto was denied you. For instance, my plans currently include driving my camper van to the very northern tip of Norway, and then returning via other countries. Not that usual a plan, but in conversations of this sort over the last week I have discovered not one, but two people who have similar plans. The nicest thing about all of this was the shared experience of anticipation, which for just a moment made me feel like I was free. I think people call it hope.