The Lumsden Club: Have you heard the Secret?

Goodbye PIMM’S, Hello Secret Garden Party!

This week the Lumsden girls have been asking us “Have you heard the Secret?” and now the secret’s out – PIMM’S is no more. We spoke to Catherine Hicks of The Lumsden Club, who told us that their classic spring event (in existence since the club’s foundation) is no longer. However, as sad as it is to say goodbye to a longstanding St Andrews feature, Catherine emphasises that the girls see this as a fantastic new beginning for the club and for the St Andrews’ social scene.

When the Lumsden girls were searching for new venues for PIMM’S in previous years, Catherine remarks that they stumbled across somewhere they believed was really special and, for them, perfect – this venue was Craigsanquhar Estate. Whilst the name is somewhat of a mouthful, they were insistent on bringing St Andrews to this beautiful venue. But, due to logistical reasons (the venue was full for spring), the event was not viable for PIMM’S so the girls took this as an opportunity to design something original for the new school year – both in order to make the most of what is a really special place, and to fill what they saw as a niche in the events calendar.

craigansquhar_026-740x493

Inspired by the vibe of the successful PIMM’S event, the girls hit upon the idea of hosting a daytime garden party – which they named The Secret Garden Party (hence the references to ‘secrets’). Think live music, barbeques, marquees, a festival vibe, dancing, picnic tables and of course, true to Lumsden hospitality, there will be a free drinks reception on arrival, and a cash bar. The event is set to run on September 27th between around 2-9pm and will be able to host about 400-500 people. The girls wanted the event to be at the beginning of the year, capturing the summer feeling and also providing a great opportunity for all the new (and old) faces to socialise.

And the price? Catherine tells us that the girls have not confirmed the price for certain yet but are determined to keep it low, since they are conscious the beginning of the year is an expensive time for everyone. Whatever the cost, all profits will be going to The Lumsden Club’s nominated charities – these currently are Parkinson’s UK Fife Branch and Malawi Underprivileged Mothers (MUMS) – both wonderful causes.

In order to launch the new event, The Lumsden Club are hosting a party this Thurday 17th April at their favourite haunt – Ma Bells. They are looking forward to one big night to announce their big change and there will be a slide show and posters at the event, as well as pitchers of PIMM’S on sale and their traditional Lumsden Jello Shots.

We wish The Lumsden Club all the best with their new event!

Image courtesy of Craigsanquar.