St Andrews and Edinburgh welcome investigative Bishop

The Bishop is back.

The Vatican has sent a Bishop to both St Andrews and Edinburgh in order to look into allegations of misconduct and abuse.

The Maltese Auxiliary Bishop Charles Scicluna has been sent by Pope Francis to “listen to and report the testimony offered by past and present members of the clergy concerning any incidents of sexual misconduct committed against them by other members of the clergy whomsoever.”

The Bishop can be met via appointments next week, however it is also suggested that those who wish to speak to him prepare their narrative in writing first.

gozonews.com

Bishop Scicluna has been a member of Vatican’s Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith until 2012 when he investigated many allegations of abuse following a number of incidents reported against the Church. In 2012, Scicluna was made an auxiliary Bishop in Malta by Pope Benedict XVI. He is also the Titular Bishop of San Leone.

Edinburgh and St Andrew’s previous archbishop, Cardinal Keith O’Brien, stepped down over allegations of personal misconduct. The Vatican clearly believes that Bishop Scicluna will investigate the concerns thoroughly, stating that he is  “highly respected among his peers around the world for his lecturing skills and his expertise in child protection issues.”

The new Archbishop of Edinburgh and St Andrews, Leo Cushley, stated that, “In order to allow Bishop Scicluna to listen and report fully, I encourage all those concerned to cooperate serenely with him.”

Image courtesy of gozonews.com