Review: Big Top Ball

Big Top, it’s “In-tents”!

The circus came to town in style last night in the form of the annual Big Top Ball.  The event was in partnership with the Charities Campaign and formed the grand finale of the St Andrews On The Rocks Festival of arts, supported by Helen Mirren this year.  For the past few days we have witnessed the erecting of a series of big top tents on the grounds of Lower College Lawns, and boy was it worth the wait for St Andrews only circus-themed ball.

big top 7

Descending the stone steps at 9pm, hundreds of guests trickled into an illuminated palace strung up with lights, overseen by men on stilts and top-hatted performers.  After a free glass of wine (or two), guests were able to purchase tokens which entitled them to peruse the plethora of stalls on offer; hook-a-duck, coconut shies, face-painting and even a fortune teller (I’m having two children apparently!) there was something to delight everyone.  The photobooth equipped with various crowns and feather boas also provided hilarious snapshots of the night.

Walking through to the main tent, the talented bands Jazzworks and Black Sheep were in full swing on the stage, indulging the crowd with jazz and pop,  it soon gave way to the impressive DJ SAUNIT which saw the hours quickly whittle away. The event was packed yet not sweaty (always a plus with balls) with guests in a mix of fancy dress and black tie, with a healthy sprinkling of animals and circus novelty costumes.  Despite being in a tent, the ball was surprisingly warm, and it was clear from the off that this was incredibly well-planned and executed.

A rather under-rated event on the ball scene in St Andrews compared to the likes of May Ball coming up.  Yet all of this for £25, with it’s unique character and huge amount of entertainment provided saw it blossom into a thumping success this year. We were promised the biggest show in town and they really delivered with incredible panache. Can’t wait for next year!

Images courtesy of Lightbox Creative