Former Association Chair calls for SRC reform

It’s a Student’s Association shake up.

Changes have been called for in the Students’ Representative Council (SRC). The former Association Chair, Maxwell Baldi, believes it is time to alter the structure of the SRC if it is to reach its full effectiveness. For Baldi, the SRC is “a critical institution for students” that can only be improved by a shake up, and should help to protect our voice with the University.

The SRC currently has 23 members, which are split into eight subcommittees. The primary change being called for is the removal of all seats named ‘SRC Member for…” (of which there are nine), replacing them with student representatives. Of these new student representatives, there will be nine undergraduate and four postgraduate representatives. These students would then serve on at least two subcommittees and take action to improve access and participation in the SRC’s activities. Baldi also hopes the motion could help reconcile interests between the SRC committee and Associate LGBT committee.

If the proposal is accepted, membership to the SRC would total 30. This increase in membership would hopefully enable the Student’s Representative Council to be more effective in their actions. According to a press release by Maxwell, “If adopted by the Councils and the Students’ Association Board, the motion would not go into effect until the March 2015 elections.”

These proposals have been made as a result of Baldi’s own experiences on the council, between April 2013 and March 2014. When the Stand asked Maxwell about his main motivation for the proposal, he accredited the passion he had developed for student representation and his desire to create “a lasting change to the betterment of the Association and student body.”

An initial consideration of the motion for reform is scheduled to take place at the joint meeting of the Association Council this Tuesday.

Image courtesy of Maxwell Baldi