Five things you must do this week…

There’s more to St Andrews than the library…

I Slam, Therefore I Am: If, à la Bob Dylan, you’re a poet and you know it – get yourself to Aikmans this Wednesday for the African Caribbean Society’s open mic night to wow the crowd with your poetry, music or spoken words. Or, alternatively, just go along to watch and enjoy.

CEO Visits: The top dogs seem to be descending upon St Andrews this week with the UK CEO of Grameen (the Nobel Prize winning micro-finance company hailed as the ‘Bank for the Poor’) excitingly being welcomed by Oikos St Andrews, in collaboration with The Carnegie Club this Tuesday. Also on Tuesday, The Management Society is hosting the UK President of Estée Lauder Companies, which looks to be a fantastic cross-over of the business, fashion, media and consumer industries.

Well-Being Week: This week Saints Sport are running a Well-Being Week with the aim of promoting the benefits of physical activity and nutrition on mental health. The week consists of numerous free activities, talks, and classes culminating on Friday with a Fayre consisting of a smoothie bike, a Fun Run, Boxfit taster sessions and learning to erg with the Boat Club. Check out the page or the website for more info.

Wookey Game 2014: The Jonny Wookey Memorial Varsity Ice Hockey is back this Tuesday… with a pre and after party, transport to Dundee, drinks deals, entertainment and the chance to watch the game itself and participate in the amazing atmosphere and spirit of a big sporting event, as well as (most importantly) continuing the legacy and commemorating a fellow student, you would be stupid to miss it. Seriously.

On The Rocks: And, last but not least (and as we’re probably all aware), this week is On The Rocks – St Andrews’ very own student-run arts festival. Think Glastonbury without the mud (though keep the rain) and add Evolving Murals, Castle Ceilidhs, a Cabaret, Circus-Themed Balls (apparently there will be a last minute ticket sale this week, so keep checking the Big Top page for information), Jamnesty, a Wish Tree in Sallies Quad and many many more. I can’t stress enough how many amazing and diverse events are happening this week so please check out the event guide here because you don’t want to miss a thing…