Ice Hockey Varsity: Jonny Wookey Memorial Game

Don’t miss out on what promises to be one of the best sporting events of the year.

On April 8th 2014, St Andrews’ University Ice Hockey team is competing against Edinburgh in the annual Jonny Wookey Memorial Varsity match against the Edinburgh Eagles.

This event is genuinely one of the bargains of the year: a £10 ticket gets you transport to the arena, exclusive pre party and after party access, cheap drinks deals all night and entertainment in abundance; not to mention the chance to watch the game itself!

RAF_JW

The Phoons’ apparently auditioning for Top Gun 2 rather than promoting the Varsity game

The St Andrews team, the Typhoons, are aiming to defend their 2013 title. Last year’s match saw 550 people turn up to watch; an incredible turnout for what was not only a fantastic event, and also for a moving cause.

At the end of the 2011/12 academic year, the ice-hockey team tragically lost a teammate and friend named Jonny Wookey to a sudden accident. His passion and vitality played an integral part in the foundation of the ice hockey club – all proceeds from the game go towards the Jonny Wookey Memorial Fund to ensure that his legacy continues beyond his friends leaving the University.

Captain Ollie Cutting, who spoke to The Stand earlier in the year as he prepared to represent Team GBR in the 26th Winter Universiades, is hoping that this year will eclipse last year’s record turnout:

“Tickets and hats have been selling really fast for the game, which has lead to Dundee opening up both bars, having a hot dog stand and the cafe open and, more importantly, it means the atmosphere should be great like last year.

“The root cause of the game and its low ticket price seems to encourage people to try something new. Some tickets remain available so head to the website or find us outside the library if you might be interested!”

So, book your ticket now to ensure that you don’t miss out on what promises to be one of sporting events of the year.