The Stand’s Guide to coping with post-Spring Break Blues

It’s not all bad.

You’ve caught up with friends and family, with all the programmes you pre-recorded on Sky and maybe you even experienced some sun. Now it’s time to gloomily bid farewell to your parents’ marvellous cooking, the warmth of double glazing and organic foodstuff from Waitrose and travel along the long and winding road that constitutes the journey back to St Andrews. Here’s The Stand’s guide to surviving those post-holiday blues…

1. Enjoy Spring

Although perceptibly later than the rest of the country, spring might actually have arrived in St Andrews (maybe). Enjoy the daffodils, the sun, not having to wear ten layers of clothing, the general spirit of happiness that winter isn’t coming for a while and use the excuse (although hardly necessary) to make an expedition or two down to Jannettas.

Heaven.

2. Try to ignore the fact that as soon as you return to the bubble, your siblings and friends now seem to have a month off

As an antidote, reiterate the importance of their impending exams and perhaps delicately reminisce on your own results whenever they appear too smug. It’s easy to utilise nagging parents for effective back up.

3. Start booking/get excited about your summer holidays

The easiest way to overcome your post-holiday blues is by planning and organising your next one. I can now dream away my lectures imagining island hopping in Greece, stalking game in South Africa and partying in Peru. Skyscanner here I come…

4. Be happy you are in the world of people, not sheep

This may just apply to me, but I am happy that I am now in an environment when I can talk to actual people my own age rather than just Josie (my dog) or elderly neighbours.

Time for a new BFF?

5. Enjoy the escape from your parents

Although I love my parents a lot, I don’t really appreciate suddenly being under their thumb again. Especially not with the various demands that are commanded throughout their working day: walk the dog, clean the car, tidy your room, hang up the laundry, make supper and collect your sister from school… urrgghh. Since when did I become a house elf?

6. Start spending your student loan

Head to Edinburgh (or at a push, Dundee) and indulge in some retail therapy to beat those blues. You need a new summer wardrobe, an outfit for May Ball and a flattering swimsuit for May dip anyway. Make the most of your student loan before you feel guilty and your rent payments are impending.

7. Exercise

Exercise supposedly releases endorphins to make you happy and with the turn of the weather there are no more excuses for refusing to go outside. Alternatively ‘exercise’ all the way to Tesco to get your endorphins through Easter Chocolate. No judging.

Images courtesy of TripAdvisor and http://class.21cccs.org/.