Get reel

Get to know the Reel Film Society

Several weeks ago, I attended a screening of The Last Laugh featuring an accompaniment from a live band. The group behind this thoroughly entertaining event are the Reel Film Society, the latest group to put cinema on the map in our little town. So who are they, and what are they all about?

The group formed last September after an email sent out by the film department asked for volunteers. Due to the unfortunate demands of academia, many members had to drop out, but the core group of 6 are now firm friends bonded by their unshakeable love for films.

Although the film department initiated the group, and suggested the band for the first screening, the students have been given the independence to forge their own vision for their society. Their goal is to spread an interest in cinema beyond the walls of the film department.

They started by selecting 10 features they have earmarked as “essential films.” The films which eventually made the list cover a range of decades, languages and themes. The society have only put on two screenings thus far, but they have already covered silent cinema and Italian horror from the 70s. The members of the society promise that there is plenty more diversity to come in their selections.

The thing that makes the society so special is their desire to provide something else alongside the screenings. Each screening features a special speaker. The society have reached out to numerous individuals, ranging from the Spanish to Persian departments. Although there was a little reluctance at the thought of getting involved with a brand new society, the members have been pleased to find some secret cinema fans amongst the teaching staff at St Andrews who have been more than willing to get involved.

The society has already experienced its share of controversy, after the established Film Society questioned the new kids on the block for poaching the time and location for their screenings. Members of the Film Society also questioned the name of the new society, which they considered to be a deliberate dig at their own approach. However, the group are keen to avoid an argument. The time and location was decided by the film department, while the name was the first cinema pun they could decide upon. They recognise in hindsight that the name may have been a “slight oversight,” but they want to welcome all film societies rather than pushing a wedge between cinema fans.

There is no leader to the group. Instead, they operate on a democratic system where everyone has a say. In the highly divisive world of cinema this is quite an accomplishment, but speaks to the inclusive nature of the group itself. Each screening is followed by drinks which the members hope will make for a welcoming atmosphere. I accompanied them for a few beverages after their screening of Deep Red, where we ended up having a long chat with the owner of Aikman’s about his love for Katharine Hepburn. This interaction summarises the society. They aim to spark discussion while being accessible to all. I say welcome to the scene, Reel Film.

Check out the Facebook page for more information. 

Image courtesy of electriccinema.co.uk