Review: McIntosh Hall Ball

McIntosh Hall Ball hits the sweet spot

While not expected to be as big as DRA’s “Arabian Nights” Hall Ball, McIntosh Hall Ball pulled out all the stops for its Candy Land themed event last Saturday.  The highlight of the night was without a doubt the freebies: Sourz test tube shots upon entry, the never-disappointing Janetta’s ice cream stall, a candy floss machine and bountiful sweets and chocolates spread over numerous tables.

The alcohol was provided by the ever faithful, Union bar (read: the presence of £1.50 messy bombs) and cheap shots, however, the lack of tequila on offer was keenly felt by some of McIntosh’s most enthusiastic partiers.  The event was held in Younger Hall, so top marks for effort to the organisers for choosing a classy venue.  The change in venue was perhaps less suitable for the Hall Ball as there were not enough people to fill the vast dance floor; instead of creating that sweaty, sardine dance floor atmosphere we all love, people ended up dispersed around the room.  Regardless, this large space was utilised by the more confident (drunken) amongst us, who were throwin’ some shapes right from the beginning of the night.

Resident McIntosh DJs successfully spun sick beats until technical difficulties ensued when the music stopped for a solid half an hour, cutting short the build up towards a lovely night.  A personal highlight was the photo booth, which was accompanied by the most complimentary photographer any of us had met, producing  the most bafflingly flattering photos!  Everybody made an effort on the attire front, with some even braving to apply the “Candy Land” theme to their outfits, perhaps an ode to the approaching months of sunshine.  As ever-altruistic St Andreans, a charity raffle was held with countless prizes to be won including a piñata, a novelty tea pot and vouchers for Maisha, Noodle Bar, Forgans, Balaka and Gorgeous.

The decor was beautifully put together, but it was slightly overshadowed by the sheer size of the venue, although the fairy lights and the pink striped candy tables were mouth-wateringly adorable.  Kudos to the organising team for throwing such a cavity-inducing hall ball, despite the turnout perhaps being stunted due to Oktoberfest, Glitterball, Hockey Ball and elections madness being held on the same night.

All photos courtesy of Light Box Creative