Five things you must do this week…

A farewell.

Well, the time has finally come. Academia has caught up with me, and this Top Five will be my last. I know, I know, try to hold your tears in. I’ve had tons of fun over the past few years telling everyone what to do and narcissistically using this column to get free entry to stuff, but it’s time to take up my rightful place in the silent section of the library and attempt to salvage the ragged tatters of my degree. Here’s a closing Five Things, from me to you.

Get involved: Sing acapella, make a jumper with Knit Soc, host a show with STAR, volunteer with the Fellowship, campaign with Greenpeace, write poetry with Inklight, grill with BBQ Soc, roleplay with WARSoc, broadcast with BubbleTV. You could even run for School President, even if the system is flawed and the person who really deserves it doesn’t win (not bitter). There are lots of things to get involved with, and even more people to meet along the way. Making friends as a grown-up is also super hard, and nobody wants to be a weird, friendless adult. Best try and collect some now.

Get even more involved: On a different yet parallel note, don’t forget the traditions. May Dip, academic kids, the Gaudie, Pier Walking, soakings, High Table… these opportunities will never arise again. Being part of what seems like one big private joke is brilliant, so don’t miss out on anything! And for goodness sake, don’t step on the PH.

Walk on the beach: Don’t forget there is life past the invisible boundaries of Domino’s, Jannetta’s and the library. The beautiful (famous!) sands of West and East are right on the doorstep, and we should all take an afternoon, or just a half hour, to appreciate the bracing sea air we are so lucky to live beside. Altogether now: Oh I do like to be beside the seaside…

Pay attention: Pay attention in lectures. Pay attention to deadlines, for essays and for estate agent lists – you’ll win a decent degree and a lovely house on Market. Especially pay attention to labels, as otherwise you may end up with (horror) low fat cheese, or even worse, a six-pack of non-alcoholic beer. The new friends you are trying to impress with drinks will forever think you are a twat and never let you forget it.

Pause to remember: Do you remember when you first saw the outline of the town against a grey, Fife sky? I do. It was the first day of Freshers’ week, I arrived at bleak, isolated Leuchars never having been north of Milton Keynes, and whilst aboard a taxi contemplating the colossal mistake I had probably just made, I caught sight of the skyline that I had seen adorning prospectuses and postcards. Then time went really, really fast and the initial panic instilled in me was thoroughly dispelled by a beautiful town that was very easy to fall in love with. In short, always visit places you will potentially be spending years of your life in (although surprises are fun) and never forget the reasons why you chose to come here in the first place – you are special, and so is St Andrews.

I guess that is all for now – don’t stop believin’ and keep reading The Stand!

As a duty of care, I would like to mention some great events happening this week: Green Week, On The Rocks launches, you can sign up for Jailbreak, Holi and the investment society is making some, um, investments