What to wear to the Roller Disco

Top fashion tips for The Roller Disco

Roller skating has always reminded me of the disorderly, frenzied roller discos that I attended as part of a summer activities weeks. We would all run to the tiny makeshift gymnasium attached to a stable, at our allotted time, frantically look for skates in our size, and zoom noisily around the hall (or clutch the wooden handrail running along the side wall if out of practice) to top tunes from the 90s, from Britney’s Baby One More Time to Sugababes’ Round Round.

Although roller skating is predominately associated with childhood and 90s movies, roller discos have not lost their thrill for our generation. St Andrews students enjoyed the Rollerdisco last semester so much that its organisers have decided to repeat the event at the Union this Saturday at only £4 a ticket. This time they’re running five sessions in fifty-minute slots to make sure that everyone that buys a ticket gets a go (book your slot online now or at the till on arrival), to prevent a repeat of last semester’s horrendous queues.

So, buy your ticket, select your fifty-minute slot and decide where to pre-drink (on non-alcoholic cocktails of course. You wouldn’t want to risk impeding your sense of balance, essential for skating success), and now all that’s left to do is to decide on a skating appropriate, but simultaneously chic outfit. Don’t panic, The Stand are here to help!

If you’re feeling daring enough to re-create a true 80s look, pull on a pair of neon short shorts over skin coloured tights (let’s be honest, we could all do with that little bit of extra warmth ), add a boob tube or sparkly halter neck top and knee high socks (as modelled by our favourite Duchess, Kate), throw on a bomber jacket and you’re good to go. In this get-up, no one will doubt your disco spirit and skating expertise!

However, if you’re aiming for something a little bit more casual and comfortable, try working this season’s popular trend: sportswear as day wear. Go for; sweat pants (Urban Outfitters’ brand, Sparkle & Fade do the perfect pair), a t-shirt style crop top (or mesh racer back for those who want to “subtly” reveal a bit more flesh) and zip hoodie. Not only will you feel relaxed and unfazed by Venue 1’s hyper, slightly sweaty atmosphere, but you’ll look effortlessly cool and convince the crowd of your innate sporting ability. Remember to keep your hair scraped back in a tight topknot or ponytail (TRESemmé’s sculpting spray gel is great for keeping stray hairs at bay) to finish off the sportswoman look.

For those of you who are interested in having a fun night out and don’t care much for roller fashion, black skinny jeans or leggings will look just as good tucked into a pair of roller skates – making legs look super long and slim. Take this opportunity to try out this season’s love of transparent clothing in a white lace top or black mesh polo shirt. You’ll have the boys slipping and tripping over each other in a virile battle to reach you first as you flash snippets of flesh under the disco ball’s glow.

Although I’m sure that most of St Andrews’ gentlemen would feel safer sticking to their jeans, Ralph Lauren pullovers and Barbour jackets. Those of you who feel like embracing disco fever this weekend and own a pair of white jeans or leather trousers, pair them with a tank top and leather belt and show the ladies how to roll.