Meet the candidates

Meet your candidates aiming to court your vote

The Sabbatical candidates have been nominated and the gauntlet has been thrown down – today is the day campaign week begins. The Stand has compiled information about each of the nominees to give you a better look at who’s who.

Association President

Pat Mathewson

www.patmathewson.eu

Rector’s Assessor, SRC member and Chairman of the Rector’s fund Pat Mathewson plans to pursue alternative venues for the Union during redevelopment by lobbying for an increase in the Association’s block grant, improve student accommodation, “ensure students are never blindsided again by an increase in fees”, and create a union-centric alumni network and class reunions to increase employability before and after graduation. As Pat says, “Let’s improve our time here together.  Vote Pat.”

Noah Ohringer

Student President of the School of International Relations and University Ambassador Noah states that it is his priority to “make decisions that support the best interest of student-staff relations as well as between students, higher administration and government.” As President, Noah hopes to generate more revenue by strengthening the Alumni Foundation, ensure affordable student accommodation, and make all University building handicap accessible, among other initiatives.

David Patterson

Current SSC Deputy Senior Officer and SSC Performing Arts Officer (aka President of Mermaids), Dave Patterson’s campaign slogan is “For a President with experience, Trust Dave.” Dave’s big pledges are improving accommodation, keeping student experience open to all, and “navigating the challenges and restrictions on space in the final stages of redevelopment ensuring your Union is open and running smoothly.”

Director of Representation (DoRep)

Ondrej Hajda

Ondrej says that his aim for next year is straightforward: “to make our University a happier place with no need to fight for seats in the library or sacrifice our mental health to pass our modules.” The goals Ondrej has set out include creating free workshops and relaxation sessions (think: puppies) to show people how to better cope with stress, longer library opening hours, and equal opportunity initiatives. “Most importantly, I am here to represent your voice and make all students feel closer with our Union,” Ondrej said.

Ali West

www.votealiwest.wordpress.com

Ali’s policies include promoting the Open Forum as a way of expressing student opinion, working with the departments to open up classrooms during exam periods for use as study spaces, and campaigning for earlier release of exam dates. “My policies are based around a commitment to a more open and accessible Union, an innovative set of academic policies, and emphasis placed on student well-being,” Ali said.

Director of Events and Services (DoES)

Tola Akanbi-Onasanya

Tola is running using the slogan “Doing More with Less”. As DoES, Tola plans to address Union redevelopment issues such as finding an alternative for Venue 1 when it closes next January and a focus on Fresher’s week. Tola said, “St Andrews deserves more. The students deserve more. I want to bring big acts to St Andrews not just for Fresher’s week, but also throughout the year.” Tola stresses that he will give his all to the position and will ensure that “you get the most from your new Union.”

Campbell Anderson

CamCanDoES.weebly.com

According to Cam, his priority as DoES will be organizing a “spectacular and varied Freshers Week”. Cam notes that he advised the previous two DoES and helped to plan the “two most successful and enjoyable Freshers’ Weeks int he Association’s history.” Cam added, “With my four years and over 1000 hours experience organising events in the Union, I’m in the best position to ensure St Andrews gets a fantastic year of student events, despite the challenges posed by redevelopment.”

Lewis Harding

“Eventful. That’s what I want your year to be. Let’s think big, we want bigger and better acts in our union,” Lewis said. “Through collaborations with other universities, external partners and student societies we can host the events that St Andrews students want to see.”  Lewis wants to see the diversification of Union events and that the redeveloped Union space is outfitted with new ideas, bringing more variety to student life in St Andrews.

Leon O’Rourke

“Leon O’Rourke: small man, big plans!” is the name of Leon’s game. A five year veteran of St Andrews, Leon has been “heavily involved in events and services within the union”. Leon’s experience has led him to forming strong working relationships with the DoES, DoSDA and members of permanent staff of the Student’s Association. “If elected I would look to continue the good work and structures that Dan has put in place and develop the union with the aid of the new bars and coffee shop,” Leon said.

Director of Student Development and Activities (DoSDA)

Fay Morrice

Fourth-year English student and former organizer of the sell-out Christmas Ball and SRC Member for Students with Disabilities said that she will work to see that the revamped Venue 1 will suit student needs, expand the Career Launch: Employability Conference. “I want to be an accessible and supportive DOSDA who can facilitate the broad and ambitious ideas that the students at our university have,” Fay said. “Good luck to everyone running. Here’s to a fun campaign week!”

Athletic Union President 

Jeremy Hipps

Psychology student and President of the Badminton Club Jeremy says he has always been passionate about sport and is “keen to improve and increase accessibility for others.” As AU President, Jeremy wants to enhance and develop the AU’s progress by better communicating the achievements of the AU clubs and making AU policies and information more accessible. “I really hope to see as many people at the hustings to hear what each candidate has to say and to hear their policies in more depth,” Jeremy said.

Cathy Pendreigh

www.cathy-can.com

Cathy believes that being involved in sport has been the highlight of her time in St Andrews and hopes that every student can say the same when they graduate. “Sport is a huge part of university life. I want to inspire every student to get involved, and remove the barriers that stop them,” Cathy said. “We also have some amazingly talented athletes who need extra support and I will work tirelessly to make sure they get it. With my policies of inclusiveness, accessibility and transparency at the AU, I can make a real difference to Saints Sport and take us to the next level!

Sarah Thompson

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sarah-Thompson-for-AU-President/1448583725373915

Fifth year German students and current Women’s Rugby President Sarah established a volunteering program me between he AU and Stellenbosch University, South Africa this year. “As AU President I would focus on collaboration, communication and development. I intend to develop the Club-Captain’s Forum, building on its current success, to enable clubs to further utilise existing knowledge and experience to promote club growth,” Sarah said. If successful, Sarah also wants to improve sport publicity and AU/Student Association relations.

Andrew Van Kralingen

Current President of the Boat Club, Andrew goals include budget transparency, AU/School relationship improvement, Alumni Relations development and widening access to sport to the entire student population. Andrew believes that his role as President of the Boat Club has prepared him to become AU President. “If elected as AU president I aim to help the individual Clubs grow and develop as much as possible, while at the same time improving the accessibility of sport across St Andrews,” Andrew said.