Association President Candidates: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly…

Lol JK they’re all great (and beautiful). The Stand chat with Dave, Noah and Pat…

David Patterson

Describe yourself in 3 words.

Outgoing. Optimistic. Determined.

What are your 3 main policies?

1) Accommodation – Improving the  system – providing tools to deal with letting agents head on and aiming to tackle the issue from ground up.

2) Student Experience – To keep Wednesday afternoons free for Sport and Activities.

3) Re-development – Navigating the remaining stages of the re-development; guaranteeing the smooth running of the Union throughout.

(For more information on Dave’s policies click here)

Tell us why we should vote for you.

For a President with experience, Trust Dave.

What are you studying?

IR and Modern History.

Favourite thing about St Andrews?

My academic children – I had great academic parents as well and I think it is definitely my favourite St Andrews tradition – we’re actually all going on holiday to Berlin in the Easter holidays.

What do you say to people who describe this as the most attractive presidential race ever?

Well that’s very flattering but it’s not all about a pretty face…

What has been your most memorable St Andrews experience?

Christmas Dinner at my flat in St Andrews last year. It was the last time we were all together before one of my flatmates (a medic) graduated. Good food, good company – perfect.

Most embarrassing song on your iPod?

The Andrews Sisters – Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy

Dervish or Empire?

Dervish.

Lizard or Library?

Lizard.

Noah Ohringer

Describe yourself in three words.

Work in Progress.

(I try to improve every day and learn from my mistakes. I also believe that the best way to learn is to overlearn, so I try not to be too hard on myself if I make the same mistake more than once.)

What are your three main policies?

1) Town and Gown Relations – With the redevelopment, we have a golden opportunity for our university to directly engage with the local community and use other venues in town to host student societies/events – a real moment for students and locals to interact in a positive way.

2) Accommodation – I aim to change the culture of landlords exploiting students, investigate private developers in regards to new accommodation and I will continue to strongly oppose the current HMO ban and any further caps.

3) Stronger Alumni Foundation – I am looking to generate more revenue through this and am working to further our university’s presence and transnational connections. The main aim is to increase opportunities for students.

Tell us why we should vote for you.

You should vote for me because I have the confidence to represent the students of St. Andrews with both dignity and humility.

What are you studying?

IR; however, in my spare time I really enjoy learning foreign languages and social psychology. People and the way they communicate fascinate me.

Favourite thing about St Andrews?

The people! You and me. We make the place. And of course, physically speaking our town is strikingly beautiful.

I wouldn’t disagree.

Recent crazy one: being swooped by a Seagull and losing my wrap to that beast…they think they run this town…If I become president I will crack down on those barbaric birds.

Recent memorable one: One amazing experience that comes to mind would be walking out onto the stage to April Vellacott’s opening music in Venue 1 for RAG Week’s Annual Catwalk Show. All the models were on stage at the same time and even though the opening didn’t go as we had planned, it was a tremendous feeling because we  had been practicing for the show for months and were finally all on stage together ready to give it our all.

Most embarrassing song on your iPod?

My flatmates can hear the music blaring from my room and sometimes they laugh at me about my choices. At the moment, I don’t have an iPod because I am experimenting what life is like without one, but The Vamps – Wild Heart is a guilty pleasure.

Dervish or Empire?

Dervish or Courtyard Café before midnight. Empire for anything later.

Lizard or Library?

Library then Lizard. I have to walk past the Lizard to get back home from the library…sometimes I can’t resist going inside.

Pat Mathewson

Describe yourself in three words.

Dedicated. Outgoing. Diligent.

What are your three main policies?

1) Accommodation – pursue the option of Private Development; a build-based accommodation agenda with strict parameters to protect the students’ interests. The “Name and Shame Campaign” and the Shuttle Bus service are also other areas I am investigating.

2) Re-Development – negotiate a one-off increase in the Block Grant to pursue other venues and also negotiate reciprocal privileges with Town Spaces.

3) Employability/ Alumni Network – I aim to pair every student with an employability office from the beginning of their degree and also to create a Union-centred Alumni Network. I want to take note of the American System and support students by providing greater internship and professional opportunities.

(For more information on Pat’s policies click here)

Tell us why we should vote for you.

From day one, I will be able to work and make progress in the job and won’t face the learning curve that the other candidates might.

What are you studying?

Economics and IR.

Favourite thing about St Andrews?

Most mornings I tend to go for a run and I will finish by running into the sea, no matter what time of year it is. When you get the chance to look back at the town from the top of the cliff – to think that we get the chance to live here, in the most unusual and beautiful place – it’s really quite special.

Oh man – I think there are much better looking people elsewhere in this university than us three…

The other night, I was going for a walk late at night and went down to East Sands during the aurora, I’d never seen it so close and there were these huge streaks of green and red in the sky – unbelievable and unlike anything I have ever seen before.

Most embarrassing song on your iPod?

Miley Cyrus – Party in The U.S.A.

Dervish or Empire?

Dervish.

Lizard or Library?

Lizard (I even managed to get a shout-out from Ian, he’s on board with the campaign!).

The Stand would like to wish all the candidates the best of luck and it looks like we will be in safe hands, whoever wins!

P.S. Both Pat and Dave have come up with further distractions to help us in our eternal pursuit of wasted time – check out the wonderful Pat Man game and Which Association President Candidate Are YOU? Quiz.