Review: Mungo’s Hifi

Review: Mungo’s Hifi

If any proof were needed of how hyped this night was, I’d never seen people fight their way through the doors of St Andrews’  Students Union until now. Venue 1 has a capacity of 600 so it was a pity that the fire regulations had to be adhered to as it was a phenomenal evening by anyone’s standards.

The evening commenced with a performance from  “Regents of Dub” (Theo Borgvin Weiss & Calum Bryant) alone warranted the centre stage. They primed the crowd, setting the mood for a night of Reggae Dub – presenting a healthy hors d’oeuvre for the subsequent main.

The decorations were top notch, with red and yellow drapery hanging from the ceiling, fairy lights and a secluded seating area. The venue’s decoration was so professional, I had to rub my eyes twice to check that I was actually in the building site, sorry, The Union.

The quality of the sound system transformed the musical experience with each beat reverberating through every body fibre. Mungo’s performance was flawless, with the crowd frothing at the mouth when they heard Mungo’s most famous tune, Herbalist. The MC, Parly B was on top form all night, delivering the goods. In fact, everyone was on top form, branding the night as “one to remember”. It was surprising to see just how many of our peers appreciate Reggae Dub music.

Music Is Love, STAR, The Afro Caribbean Society and of course, us here at The Stand, could not be more pleased with the evening’s proceedings. MiL, as the organisers, should sit back and admire their work, setting a demanding precedent to follow.

Saturday night was a testament to the organisers’ hard work, dedication and planning. In my view, it was the best St Andrews event of the semester thus far and if The Union wants the space packed out more often, they know who to call.