Why the best studying happens in pubs

After all, the library doesn’t serve whiskey…

I am studying in a pub right now. It is 3:30pm on a Sunday, and instead of looking like an alcoholic regular who stops by for a couple pints after church, I am studying. I have my books out, laptop plugged in, and I am typing.

And guess what…I’m being pretty freaking productive.

The atmosphere is perfect. It’s quiet. The chairs are really comfortable. I can watch the BBC and weird music videos and, unlike in the library, there is no uncomfortable sexual tension. The lighting isn’t harsh, and I don’t have to look over at the person next to me chewing his nails and drinking cups of coffee.

The fact that old people surround me makes me even more productive. It’s like my parents are here in the pub making sure I study. These people I don’t even know who are coming in for a Sunday lunch represent my parents, and they remind me of the larger world outside my studies, as well as why I am studying. Instead of the people I probably saw drunk at the Union last night, it’s representative figures of my grandparents.

Also- I literally never have to leave. For breakfast I have a scone and a coffee. For lunch I have a steak pie and a soup. For snack I have nachos. For dinner I have a burger and chips. For dessert I have a sticky toffee pudding. I can have water, soda, coffee, tea, and if it gets pretty bad, I can start nursing a whiskey. No need to go grocery shopping, no need to take a break, everything I need is at the pub, and the best part is- it doesn’t close until midnight. Essentially, it has the exact same hours as the library and Tescos.

(It does start getting loud and rowdy around 7pm- but, yo, I should be out partying anyway.)

It’s also fun, as a History and English major, to study where the great events were discussed and took place. I studied the Scottish Enlightenment in the very place it was born: the pub. I read Shakespeare in the very place he found some of his inspiration: the pub.

I have studied at the pub so much that it feels like home, a continuation of my family living room. I have watched a movie on the couch. I’ve had a pint in my pajamas. I’ve Skyped my mom on her birthday. At the pub, I can be super productive.

Join me at Drouthy Neebor’s –  I’ll be studying in the backroom.

Image courtesy of http://barbeerians.com/2009/12/best-beer-books/