Bell St demolition: 3 new flats, new shop to be built

Bell Street to house three new flats.

You may have been walking on Bell Street recently, fresh Rocca sandwich in one hand with a steaming Bean Scene coffee in the other, and noticed the rather harsh obstruction of metal fences in the middle of the road. You thought, “What’s going on here?” After the demolition of buildings 8-10, a shop and three new flats will occupy the space.

Historic Scotland and North East Fife area committee support the project, originally conceived in 2007 and financed by Edinburgh located Ardoss Partnership. After much planning and approval in February 2013, local St Andrews councils have still been troubled by the loss of a prime retail location and the size of the intended flats. Everyone knows, the bigger the flat, the better the house party. Happily, the infrastructure will not impact the historic surroundings, and the council’s concerns over insufficient parking were deemed misguided.

As of now, there is no word on the completion date or the intended occupant of the retail space. Keep checking the Stand for developments on this story.

Photo by Kelly Saiz