FS 2014: What to Wear

What to wear to the year’s biggest night!

Fashion season is upon us. Everybody stay calm. Every year, FS maintains its status as the ‘go to’ event. FS 2014, with its theme “Bright Young Things”, offers the lucky guests a variety of sartorial opportunities.

The theme originates from Evelyn Waugh’s novel Vile Bodies, which concentrates on the extravagant youth culture that surged forth in London between the two World Wars. Written in 1930 but focusing more specifically on the 1920s, Waugh’s ideas will guide much of the fashion to be seen on the catwalk, and should also be the inspiration behind the outfit choices for Saturday evening.

This theme is genuinely flexible. So don’t feel you have to dress in 1920’s art deco, although this is a very viable option. If you choose to go for a more modern twist, channeling ‘Bright Young Things of Today’, then colour will be the key. Of course, the onus should be on dressing up and not down, and below are some ideas on exactly how to do that.

For the ladies, choose either the demure classical elegance of the 1920’s with a longer dress and more jewelry or stand out in more modern, vibrant dresses or playsuits!

For guys, this is the perfect opportunity to go with velvet. Forgive the inclusion of Ryan Gosling right after Valentine’s Day, but you get the idea.

If not then smart attire is still a must, and bright patterns or loud colours in the tie/pocket handkerchief department will look great with a more laid back jacket or suit. Instead of black tie, this is your chance to diversify, try a non matching jacket and trousers combination or a grey suit to add a bit of flair!

Whatever you go for, and whether it’s your first or last FS, the show and after party promise to replicate the glamour, decadence and wild hedonism of Waugh’s London of the 1920’s! See you tonight!

Images courtesy of  St Andrews Charity Fashion Show, standard.co.uk, ebay.co.uk, vajont.co.uk, simonsaid.co.uk, gq.co.uk, express.co.uk