Review: Fine Food Fayre

Fine Food Fayre cuts the mustard.

RAG week was well and truly rounded off last Sunday with the Fine Food Fayre, hosted by the Fine Food & Dining Society.

Walking into younger hall the smell of freshly baked bred and spices hit you square in the face.  With over 50 stalls there was something for everyone, from local cheese (I sampled every type they had), home made fudge, Scottish flavoured Ciders, artisan jams, home made marshmallows and macaroons, and enough whisky to sink a small market town.
To say it was packed was pretty much an understatement, locals and students mingled around the stalls, willingly lapping up the free samples and bagging up the mouth watering goodies on display, all to the pleasant accompaniment of a jazz band as well as acapella groups.  The stall holders were energetic and willing to give you the life history of their products, I was showcased a special “Leek Bread Dance”, apparently the zealous baker danced for all of his customers who bought his famous Leek Bread!
If having these gastronomical delights available to you for a less than market price wasn’t good enough, the Fine Food Fayre also had cooking demonstrations from some of the top chefs in the country.  These included Scott Davis, a semi finalist on this seasons’ BBC Masterchef: The Professionals” Tony Singh, famous through the BBC SPICEMEN, Geoffrey Smeddle, an Michelin Star chef at the Peat Inn, and Chris Trotter, who recently published ‘The Whole Hog.’
If you missed out this year, be sure to put it in your diary for next RAG week.  You can’t go wrong with food this good!