New halls of residence to be constructed by East Sands

Housing crisis: over?

With approval by Fife Council, work on a new student halls of residence is scheduled to begin within the next two months. The new building will be on East Sands on the site of the existing Wonder Years nursery, and will contain 135 rooms.

Wonder Years won’t be at a loss, however,  as the construction will include a new children’s nursery to replace the old one. The open beachfront will also be enhanced, with plans for a new piece of public art and an outdoor area to be instated.

As St Andrews struggles to house the ever expanding university and inhabitants, such news is likely to come as a relief to those who have raised concerns about housing and accommodation in recent months.  Currently, the University has 11 undergraduate accommodation options and 9 for postgraduates, but the recent influx of students has led to an increasing housing shortage.

A recent study by the University’s Centre for Housing Research has also suggested that the town itself is feeling the effect of the shortage, especially on the rental market. Some hope that the development on East Sands will better town-and-gown relations as it will alleviate some of the stress surrounding student housing.

If everything goes according to plan, there will be a new contender in Clan Warfare as early as the 2016/7 academic year.

Photo courtesy of thecourier.co.uk