Fisher & Donaldson vending machine here to stay

Sausage rolls are stirring things up.

St Andrews family bakery, Fisher & Donaldson, has done more than tickle our taste buds recently since installing a 24 hour bakery vending machine in the centre of town.

This new arrival has caused issues with Labour councillor Brian Thomson, who argues that the machine is “completely inappropriate in the St Andrews Conservation Area” and claims it would damage the picturesque image of the town.

However, this negative response seems to be in the minority, with the manager of the bakery, Ben Milne, stating that the “feedback has been amazing, I’ve only had positive responses”. If the 13,000 hits on the Fisher and Donaldson Facebook page from fans are any indication, this quirky machine does not seem to be moving anytime soon.

Unsurprisingly, most of these adoring fans are students who are taking advantage of the 24 hour accessibility to food; considering that most of our favourite fast-food shops (yes, unfortunately this includes Empire as well!) close around 2am, there are few options left for the peckish St Andrean after a night out. Luckily this vending machine adds variety to the usual pizza and cheesy chips choice, supplying ‘sausage rolls, stovies, pies and other delicacies’ to the menu.

It is not only the students who are taking advantage. Taxi drivers are also appreciating the hot treats while waiting around on cold nightshifts. As business is booming and the machine often sells out on Friday and Saturday evenings, Milne implies that he may make it a ‘permanent fixture at the front of our Church Street shop’. So despite best efforts by some to make the machine disappear, this box of goodies may be just too hard to resist.

Image courtesy of  news.stv.tv