What to Wear: Christmas Ball

Let loose like an Oompa-Loompa at Christmas Ball.

Mermaids is planning a truly magical Christmas Ball this year, complete with an equally as magical theme: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The ball committee have gone all out, and have promised to revamp Santa’s Grotto and decorate Kinkell Byre with sweets galore. Here at The Stand fashion desk, we think it would be rude not to embrace the theme, as a token of appreciation for all their hard work. Go as an Oompa-Loompa. Go as Augustus Gloop, after he falls in the chocolate river. If you’re sat there thinking ‘I don’t have an Oompa-Loompa costume and melted chocolate is an impractical accessory’, here are some other outfit ideas.

”I’ve heard tell that what you imagine sometimes comes true”

Take inspiration from T-swizzle on the red carpet and be someone’s golden ticket in a floor-length sequinned dress. Pair with cranberry-red lips for maximum impact.

”But I can’t have a blueberry as a daughter! How is she supposed to compete?”

Violet Beauregarde may have fallen foul of Wonka’s blueberry-flavoured gum, but you can use this fabulous hue to your advantage with one of these delectable dresses. Hopefully you won’t need an Oompa-Loompa to help get you home after too much champagne.

”Daddy, I want another pony.”

If anyone knows how to dress for a fancy party, it’s Veruca Salt. Choose a dress fit for a princess, complete with bratty frills and sumptuous pink satin. A fur coat would also be perfect for fending off the cold on the bus ride to the ball.

”I am the maker of music, the dreamer of dreams.”

If you’re looking to channel the man himself, don a swanky velvet blazer, preferably in this year’s go-to festive colour: dark plum. A paisley scarf or bow tie will also up your zany factor.

We hope you’re all ready to get Willy Wonka’d!

Images courtesy of  guardian.com, graziadaily.com, weddingsonline.ie, maryellenmark.com, style.com and michaelkors.com