DONT WALK Retail

With the DONT WALK launch party just past the horizon, Anghara takes a closer at what their online shop has to offer…

Having researched DONT WALK’s philosophy and choice of brands for this academic year, I discovered that their principal aim is not to showcase beautiful, conventionally fashionable clothing, but clothing which inspires meaning and emotion in both wearer and viewer. Shirley Huang, co-head of retail, defines DONT WALK Retail as “simple, practical and unique”, hoping that the accumulation of multiple new collections and contributors throughout the year will attract “the sartorially diverse.” By working closely with the Fashion and Creative teams to ensure pieces suit our tastes and spending limits, they have succeeded in creating a collection that is not only “harmonious with the DONT WALK aesthetic”, but is also “affordable and accessible” to the St Andrews community.

One of the brands available  is Age of Reason, a British accessories label specialising in luxury scarves, hats, wraps and gentleman’s pocket squares. It adheres to DONT WALK’s insistence on uniqueness and personality as each scarf is hand painted onto water-colour paper before being printed onto silk, wool or silk-cotton blend fabrics by designer Ali Mapletoft. If you’re someone whose wardrobe consists of “fearless prints, a sense of fun and beautiful fabrics”, and who has a weakness for true British style, be sure to pick up one of the three scarves sold on the DONT WALK Retail site (I couldn’t resist buying ‘Angry Cat’, a silk scarf featuring ‘angry cat’, the symbol chosen by the label to communicate its rebellious, self-reliant ethos).

If you’re a fan of free-hand printing, you’ll love ‘Draw In Light’, a contemporary women’s wear line founded by Harriet Barford and Polly Wilkinson. Meera Stannard, Womenswear Buyer at Liberty has been working with the duo since the brand’s launch in 2009, and praises their artistic ability, “Harry and Polly are immensely talented and their print work is unique and different to anything else we’ve seen.” Although not yet featured on the DONT WALK site, the Retail team are excited about launching their collection online within the next few weeks. Christmas shopping anyone?

Another DONT WALK brand which should appeal to all St Andrews students is ‘Zaini’, who’s colourful beanies promise to shield us from Fife’s brutally cold weather. Born from Scottish designer Miranda Harper’s inability to find a beanie which was sufficiently colourful, comfy and stylish, it has grown quickly over the past few years to become an established brand which is sold and distributed throughout the world. Having experienced the frustration of inadequate beanies, Miranda makes sure that she includes her customers in the design process, “I put together 100’s of colour combinations each year and do focus groups to see which ones are popular and not – asking customers gets them involved in the process and gives us real feedback on the new designs.”

You do not need to feel guilty about splurging on DONT WALK Retail this semester because 100% of the profits will be donated to the show’s two nominated charities, Anichra and the Coalition for Work with Psychotrauma and Peace. Show your support for these charities by making an online purchase now, or attending the launch party on November 22 at the Rusacks hotel, where Shirley promises that “Guests will be able to shop exclusive pieces, along with the core collections currently offered online, with edible treats and a gift with purchase.” Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Click here to take a look at DONT WALK Retail.

Images courtesy of dontwalkretail.com, ageofreason.com, drawinlight.com and zaini.com.