Review: Final Sinners

The last Sinners of the year.

Wednesday night saw the last Sinners Sport of the semester take place in Venue One. For many students it acted as their last sports social before the long-anticipated arrival of exams as well as the dreaded revision period. As a result, there was certainly a feeling of ‘go hard or go home’ as well as greedy excitement for a night away from the Library, with students instead choosing to spend their time pulling some ill advised moves on the dance floor, as well as each other.

Arriving at the Union just before its 11 o’clock curfew, you could tell that the party was already in full swing. There was no end to the different types of fancy dress being paraded around the bar including boat club in morph suits, hockey club in Christmas themed outfits and even a group of shinty girls dressed as their favourite works of art; seeing Botticelli’s Birth of Venus rocking out to Icona Pop was certainly one of the highlights of my night. The DJ set captured the crazy atmosphere perfectly, causing a sweaty mass of students to headbang, gyrate and jump around unselfconsciously to the music. I personally would have appreciated a few more pop classics (especially with the arrival of the ever topical McBusted reunion); however, my lack of appreciation for ‘dance’ music certainly didn’t hamper my enjoyment of the night.

Despite not reaching full capacity, the union felt busier than it has done in weeks. The main bar will be closing for redevelopment from December through until August 2014 and Sinners Sport was an excellent opportunity to say a (not-quite-tearful) farewell to a space which will have made up the majority of your nights out in first year. Sinners Sport remains great value for money, £1 a ticket for all sports teams, and last night certainly didn’t disappoint with decent drink deals and an opportunity to dance the night away with your friends.