Hamish McHamish to be bronzed for Christmas

The purr-fect way to say we love Hamish.

After 14 years of roaming the streets of St Andrews, acquiring 5,000 Facebook friends and his own book, Hamish McHamish, Cool Cat About Town, along the way; the legendary cat will finally be immortalised in bronze this Christmas.

Hamish; the cat, the myth and legend has captured the hearts (and treats) of all the St Andrews residents and students; inspiring them earlier this year to raise an amazing £5,000 for a statue to commemorate their favourite feline. Editor of St Andrews in Focus Magazine Flora Selwyn commented that the statue “is a way of saying thank you to Hamish…to celebrate him and the joy he brings us”.

It is hoped that the statue will rival that of Edinburgh’s own Greyfriars Bobby; but since Hamish has already gained national attention and is, according to Selwyn, “so clued up…when you watch him cross the road he waits for the lights to change”, he is well on his way to challenging the terrier’s legacy.

Sculptor David Annand

The bronze statue, which will weigh up to 50kg, is created by sculptor David Annand and will stand proudly upon a plinth in the centre of town. The sculpture will hopefully be revealed by Christmas, followed by a party to celebrate the memorable occasion; cat-themed of course.

It is unknown whether or not Hamish will be present for his big debut, he may be too busy joining students for a nap in their lectures, but one fact is for certain; Hamish McHamish is officially the top cat in town.

Image courtesy of thecourier.co.uk, booktopia.com and davidannand.com