Vettel: Brilliant but boring?

Jack Muir describes his growing boredom with the monotonous Formula 1.

What more can be said about Sebastian Vettel? Not only has he been crowned World Champion for the fourth consecutive season, but his victory in the US Grand Prix saw the young German break yet another record for most Grands Prix won in a row in a single season.

Vettel has won eleven out of a potential seventeen races this season and has been in control since the start. His superiority is emphasised by the gulf between him and second-placed Alonso, who has just 2 wins to his name this season. There are few who would argue that Vettel is not the greatest driver in the field today, a driver of the same ilk as Prost, Senna and his compatriot Schumacher. But his utter domination of the sport begs the question: Is Formula 1 becoming less interesting to watch?

Unfortunately, the answer is undoubtedly yes. I for one would rather flick on the TV screen to see wheels flying and tempers flaring, rather than the customary sight of Vettel, hand on heart, with the same anthem playing week after week after week in a manner akin to my old school assemblies.

It would appear that many are in agreement with me. Hardcore fans are paying well earned money to watch the F1 merely to catch a glimpse of the same dark purple, red and yellow blur whoosh past their eyes in first place time and time again. Receiving boos on the podium in Belgium, Silverstone, Canada and the Indian Grand Prix, it seems that few outside the Red Bull team are enthused by Vettel’s continued dominance. Even the other drivers weren’t effusive in their praise, with Lewis Hamilton saying Vettel’s dominance risks putting fans to sleep. But are we all being a little harsh, a bit jealous and a bit sour? What has he actually done wrong, other than strive to be the best in his field?

At the time of writing, in his 115 starts in Formula One Vettel has won 34 races, qualified on pole 42 times and has 57 podiums. He has done his job, performed when he has had to and raised his game when it necessary. Whilst he has beperceived as arrogant, especially after his controversial overtaking of Webber at the beginning of the season, he has done nothing wrong except try his utmost to win. One might argue that the Red Bull car is a cut above the competition. However, the fact is that Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel are in identical cars yet Vettel continues to outstrip him race after race.

Therefore, there can be no doubt that Vettel is a driver at the top of his game, at the summit of his sport, at the cusp of eternal glory. However, I have a message for the competition. Please, for the good of the sport, try to get better for next season!