Review: Gravity

In space, no one can hear you scream.

It’s been called a masterpiece, cinema’s future, and the film of the year; It’s already an Oscar front runner and, unlike many of it’s predecessors, it deserves that status.

Gravity follows Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock) and Matt Kowalski (George Clooney), astronauts working on the Hubble Space Telescope. Their shuttle is hit by debris, detaching Ryan and killing most of the staff. Veteran astronaut Matt rescues Ryan but, with dwindling oxygen supplies and only 90 minutes until another collision, their safety is immediately in jeopardy.

This is the ultimate survival tale. Being shipwrecked or stranded in the wilderness isn’t exactly a barrel of laughs, but drifting through space makes that look like a luxury holiday in comparison. As the opening informs us, life in space is impossible: there is no oxygen, temperatures plummet, and there is no sound. Ryan loses contact with mission control and is on her own in the most desperate situation imaginable. There will be no convenient rescue mission for her. The usual survival tale is intensified and every set back is catastrophic. The premise leads to a relentless series of nail biting twists. When I say nail biting, I mean that literally. You should see my hands.

The film wouldn’t be nearly as compelling if it wasn’t for the always amazing Sandra Bullock. Sandy B has won an Oscar, but she’s still best known for her comedic roles. In Gravity, she casts aside Miss Congeniality and shows herself to be a formidable dramatic actress. The vast majority of the film features Ryan alone, in a silent environment. Sandy’s a beautiful woman, but the idea of staring at her face for 90 minutes doesn’t exactly justify the ticket price. Yet, she is utterly compelling to watch. Every tiny change in her breathing or facial expression becomes a signal of her emotional state, her health and her chances of survival. Taking that on is a massive burden which she handles with ease. We might as well add the Oscar nomination to her wikipedia page now.

George Clooney is listed in the credits, but he’s a footnote compared to Sandy’s real co-star: earth itself. That sounds cheesy but the earth is the backdrop to all the action. It’s the topic of conversation numerous times, and reaching it is the ultimate goal. Director Alfonso Cuaron (Potterheads take note: he directed Prisoner of Azkaban) realises this silent co-star with incredible skill. He spent $100 million on state of the art technology, and that was money well spent. The background is realistic enough to blend seamlessly with any NASA footage. In moments of silence, the visuals are beautiful enough to keep us enthralled.

I will be surprised if you leave the cinema without a new sense of appreciation for life. Ryan’s easiest option would be to watch the pretty view while her oxygen runs out, but she recognises there is something about life worth fighting for. When you see the beauty of the world Cuaron created, you might understand her perseverance.

Images courtesy of welivefilm.com and theatlantic.com