Review: “A Little Party Never Killed Nobody”

Crazy in love with the Gatsby Party.

‘I like large parties. They’re so intimate.’ Not just a line from F. Scott Fitzgerald’s masterpiece The Great Gatsby, but also the perfect way to describe last night’s ‘A Little Party Never Killed Nobody’ event at the Vic.

This Gatsby- themed evening was actually a second year Management project, run by 8 students from the Management and Society class. Though it may seem like nothing more than a school project, town favorite “Secretly Famous” actually started as such a assignment as well, later getting picked up as a scheduled special by the Vic. This is the stuff dreams are made of, folks.

The VIP section had the alcohol flowing, with two bottles of Champagne and a litre of Smirnoff at every table to kick-off the party, an absolute steal at only £10 a ticket. In true Gatsby fashion, VIP seemed the only way to go, as regular entry was slow to fill up the Vic before midnight. VIPs never felt the need to leave their designated section, as it was the aspect of the evening that felt the most transformed from just another Thursday at the Vic. Not for lack of effort- there was a live band on the patio, and flapper headbands on almost every head, but there just weren’t enough people to make expanding past the VIP section worth it.

While the main bar felt a little under-capacity, the dance floor, open to all Gatsby Night attendees, was full of people and great music, featuring the best of the film’s Jay Z produced soundtrack. The small dancing space made the event seem more full and the atmosphere surrounding it proved that everyone was having a great time.

Drinks and dancing is a pretty standard formula that normally stands the test of time, but the team behind Gatsby night accomplished everything they set out to do- it was a high society pre-drinks that turned into a fun dance party- not quite Gatsby sized, but the ambiance and booze made it a thoroughly enjoyable and  jazzy night out.

Image courtesy of Daily Planet