Don’t ruin Raisin for yourself

Make Raisin the cleanest mess possible.

At the foam fight my first year, I felt as though I would never be anything but a fresher. I existed permanently in the torrent of bubbles my siblings sprayed, glorifying in the first step of my university adventure. Alas, the wheel of life does turn, and like my predecessors my grades now count and the beast of graduation is on the horizon. So in preparation for the annual slaughter, here are a few tips I’d like to give parents about Raisin Sunday, Monday, and all the lost inebriated hours in between.

1. Within reason, listen to your children (or face the consequences). I hear a lot of academic parents complain the day after raisin about their ruined rugs, duvets, and general bathroom furnishings. But 90% of the time the dreaded chunder occurs because parents ignore their kid when they say, “If I drink one more messy pint I’m gonna hurl.” Most people have some understanding of their tolerance. If you don’t care about your flat’s post-Raisin  state (or your child’s memory), ignore the warning signs and bring out the next Jose Cuervo. But don’t say you didn’t know about the risks to your return deposit when you survey the damage to your porous surfaces the next day.

2. Beware of leaving headquarters. My Raisin occurred predominantly within Regs until my brother carried me to the badlands for our uncle’s party (then the tequila hit him and I carried him). Going around town is good fun, but you run the danger of losing or stranding your Raisin kin. The last thing you want (or should want) is to have to scrape a child from the gutter that they’ve been lying in for several hours while you were unable to find/contact them. Drunk people seem to lose their texting dexterity. Either stay home or think about a child leash system.

3. Make sure they make the foam fight. I have never seen such tears as I have from those that missed the foam fight. So, parents, do whatever you have to. Steal a key to their halls of residence, get a megaphone, set alarms on their phones for them (the annoying marimba kind). Make sure they get their chance to douse other freshers in a medieval quad and that you get your chance to dress them in the most embarrassing costumes available.

4. Get yourself a Raisin KitSunday and Monday are obvi going to be crazy. Just don’t be stupid. Well, try not to be too stupid. The Kit will let you in on the golden rules, do’s and don’ts and will ensure the wellbeing of your family.

May the Raisin odds be ever in your favour.

Image courtesy of asummerfullofpeaches.com