5 ways to cook eggs

It’s an Eggs-travaganza!

As far as best friends go, the humble egg should be a prominent contender for the type of person known as “a student”.  Cheap to purchase, easy on the eye, different colours, shapes, origins, you name it you most probably can get an egg from it. Not only are they easy to get your hands on, but they’re also incredibly easy to cook with, from the simplest dishes, to something that will have your dinner party guests (as well as your parents) in awe.

So, what are the best ways to cook an egg?

1. The boiled egg.

We like to start simply here at The Stand. A boiled egg or two sets you up for that 9 am tutorial and will have you bouncing out the door high on life, not to mention it’s as easy as boiling an egg. Oh wait… (cheesy laugh track here)

First, place the number of desired eggs into a pan of boiling water with a dash of salt added.

Cook for:

5 minutes for runny

7.5 minutes for medium to firm

10 minutes for hard boiled.

Remove and put into an egg cup, cut the top off and voila! Serve with hot, buttered toast (ideally cut into strips/soldiers) for a happy camper.

2. Scrambled egg

Another fine breakfast, or lunch, or supper, the scrambled egg is a versatile concoction.

First, break a couple of eggs (2 or 3 usually makes a hearty serving), add a dash of milk and

whisk lightly.

Add some butter to a frying pan, let it melt but not burn, pour the egg mixture in, and let it sit for 20 seconds. Then stir with a wooden spoon, folding and listing the mixture so it doesn’t stick to the bottom. Let it sit again, and repeat. Keep goin’ until the eggs have turned a light golden yellow and look nice and fluffy, not runny!

Serve on buttered toast with a sprinkling of salt and black pepper to start the day. If you’re feeling particularly decadent, slather some cream cheese and stick some smoked salon on top. Yum.

3.  Omelette

Omelettes are so easy you can do it with your eyes closed (not recommended but it’s possible).

First, crack 2 or 3 eggs into a bowl, season and beat with a fork. Add a small amount of butter to a small frying pan and let it melt but not burn (you’re starting to get the tricks!), and pour the egg mixture into the pan. Leave to do it’s own thing.

Add whatever ingredients take your fancy/you have lying around in the fridge.  Cheese, vegetables, meats… everything works!

Using a spatula, ease around the edges of the omelette, folding it over in half. Flip  it over so both sides get some heat, and remove when it has turned golden brown.

Serve either on it’s own, or with a generous helping of salad.

4. Meringue

Now we’re taking out the big guns. The meringue is simple yet has the potential to be a disaster. However, do not fear the humble meringue, as you must conquer it and show it that you have the necessary skills to whip it’s ass (literally).

First, heat the oven to 120 C°.  Separate 3 large eggs and put the whites into a glass before transferring them to a mixing bowl. It’s really important (REALLY IMPORTANT) not to get any yolks in or else it won’t work. Hold the bowl firmly and whisk the whites until they begin to get thicker, then turn up the speed and whisk your heart out until the whites form stiff peaks. This essentially means if you turn the bowl upside down they won’t fall out. Then add 175g of sugar to the egg whites, whisking lightly until the mixture becomes almost glossy.

On a baking tray, put some greaseproof paper, spoon out the meringues into little circles/big mounds, pop in the oven for 1 and a quarter hours. Turn the oven off, but leave the meringues in. This will allow them to dry out and become crispy on the outside, soft in the middle.  What’s not to love?

5.  Egg fried rice

As a full meal or as a side dish, this will always impress and is perfect for the cold winter nights.

Beat together one egg and 2 tea spoons of sesame oil and put to one side. Heat two tablespoons of vegetable oil in a frying pan, and when it’s simmering add 200g of rice and stir for 3-4 minutes until cooked through.  Add 100g of peas, 4 finely chopped spring onions and 100 g of bean sprouts.  Stir continuously for about 3 minutes.  Season with soy sauce and pepper.  Push to one side of the pan, and in the other side pour the beaten egg mixture. Leave it for 10 seconds so it starts to set.  Then, using a chopstick, swirl around the egg to break it up and toss it around the rice.  Stir for another minute and serve straight away.

However you decide to make your eggs, they’re sure to be eggs-elent delicacies, make an egg-stravagant meal, appetizer, or side dish, and have all of your guests calling for egg-stras!  #eggs

Images courtesy of BBC Food and weirdomatic.com