Judging Halloween costumes

Why it’s okay to channel our inner Regina George.

There are spiders EVERYWHERE. That can only mean one of two things: this is either the worst two-week-long nightmare ever, or it’s that time of year again. Our little town has been taken over by pumpkins, cobwebs and bats, and as usual, we’re all obsessing over finding the perfect (little) outfit for the next big event. However, during this autumn season the normal rules can be bent a little, and I’m not just talking about not having to wear black tie to Kinkell. As the wise Cady Heron once said: “Halloween is the one night a year when a girl can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it”, and I for one am inclined to agree.

Halloween is, after all, just a bit of fun, traditions carried on from childhood with a bit of alcohol thrown in to help us deal with wearing a ridiculous costume in front of all of our friends. So why shouldn’t you be able to wear whatever you like?

It would be foolish to assume that all women have been forced to wear so-called “slutty” costumes under the pressure of society; in fact, for many girls it can be incredibly liberating. You might not feel comfortable wearing stockings or a corset any other night of the year, but Halloween is a completely different story.  For one night you can become anything or anyone you want.

There is a line, obviously. I’m not advocating anyone doing a Prince Harry this Halloween, but as long as you won’t be arrested for public indecency then you should be fine going out in your Ann Summers’ “PC Pleasure” police officer costume or your “Sexy Scrabble Board” outfit. And it’s not just the ladies; guys partake in this almost as often! I recently went to see The Rocky Horror Show and no one batted an eyelid at the men who had crammed hairy legs into fishnets, leather thongs and high heels.

We need to stop taking these things so seriously. This Halloween, don’t be afraid to make your costume as fun as the party you’re going to. You can wear black tie and ball gowns any day (it is St Andrews after all). I don’t want to dwell too much on this long-disputed issue, but it is never acceptable to judge someone based solely on what they’re wearing. Particularly if they’re dressed as a bloody axe-murderer.