University staff to strike over salaries

What do they want? More salary. When do they want it? Now!

UCU, Unite and Unison, the three recognised labor unions at the University of St Andrews are set to join together on the 31st October to take strike action. These unions represent not only academics, but library staff, university administration, and most individuals employed by the university.

The impending strike is a result of a series of unsuccesful salary negotiations between the university and union workers. The final offer was a 1% pay increase, which is actually a decrease of around 2.5% when inflation is taken into consideration. Since 2008, university staff has had to accept a 13% pay cut with such economic conditions taken into account. The University will not have seen such a large-scale organised strike since 2006, which may result in some lecture or tutorial cancellations.

The Students Association has encouraged students to show their support or gather more information about the strike at an open meeting between the unions and student association in School 3 of St Salvator’s Quad on Monday 28th October between 1 and 2 pm. A staff member rally will be held on Thursday 31st October, the day of the strike, from 12 to 1 in Church Square. The Student Association is encouraging students to attend this as well.

The Students Representative Council (SRC) voted to support the staff strike at their meeting last Tuesday. President Chloe Hill said in support of the matter, “We are not just talking about our academic staff, but our librarians, lab technicians, and administrative support staff – the people students see and benefit from on a day-to-day basis. The SRC felt it was important to support staff because they are a part of our community, and their welfare is as important as our own.”

Click here and here to learn how you can support your favorite lecturer/IT person to learn more about why they are striking, respectively.

Image courtesy of “Students support the joint unions strike” Facebook page