What to Wear: Bongo Ball

Ready to be Bongo’ed?

As we near Friday evening, attendees of Bongo Ball all over St Andrews will be turning their attention towards a hopeful cracker of a night  at Crail Airfield. As shown by Blackout last week, a change of venue makes a big difference, and there will be plenty looking forward to getting out of town for an evening of African-themed revelry. With the intimate venue impressively decked out, it would be a real shame to pitch up looking in any way disinterested.

The event is in aid of Xavier Project, a charity that provides education opportunities to urban refugees in Kenya and Uganda. Created and run by an ex-St Andrean, Ed Page, the charity receives 30% of all its required income from the event, as well as three others in London, Dundee and Aberystwyth. Rarely will you find a more charity-focused event in our committee-driven social calendar.

So, for the uninitiated-what to wear?

Both men and women’s outfits should run along a similar thread. Unless desperate, resist the temptation to don your animal print clothing, tiger onesie, or worse still, your routine black tie. With the Christmas balls around the corner, there will be ample opportunity to dust off your dinner jacket. Why not instead commit to the vibrant tribal patterns and radiant fabrics that are more in keeping with the colourful cultures of Sub-Saharan Africa than the classical elegance of a black tie event?

Image courtesy of cocoandcreme.com

For the lionesses who have been stalking this sartorial opportunity, start sharpening your claws and get ready to pounce.  Your most viable option lies with jewellery, African patterned accessories (Rafiki Fabrix are doing £4 purses in association with Bongo Ball), or tribal face paint.

Image courtesy of trendhunter.com

Lions, we want to hear you roar. Mark your territory with tribal shirts, which can be coupled with face and body paint for a striking ensemble.

Image courtesy of alberton.olx.co.za

Ties, pocket handkerchiefs and loud trousers slipstream well with a white shirt and jacket for those wanting to combine African tones with suave traditional wear.  Out of time to shop? Allow Rafiki Fabrix to bring Africa to you with their range of bright ‘pyjama’ trousers, retailing at a very reasonable £15.

Image courtesy of xavierproject.tumblr.com

In addition to the fashion show that is sure to be Bongo, there will also be a raffle opportunity and huge prize opportunity. “In line for Bongo Ball tickets they just asked me if I wanted to spend another pound on a raffle ticket, little did I know that that would get me 5 weeks in Uganda,” said Sage Lancaster, last year’s AV Grand Prize Winner. In association with AV, Bongo Ball provides a massive prize: the trip of a lifetime to Uganda. “Bongo Ball was such an amazing night, but the result of giving an extra pound to a good cause is what makes it completely unforgettable for me.”

The Stand will see you there Friday!