Review: Jagwar Ma

Mr Indie-pendent David Dargahi reviews Jagwar Ma

Twenty years ago, Scottish music mogul Alan McGee saw two young brothers from Manchester perform one of their first gigs at Glasgow’s King Tuts Wah Wah Hut, and immediately signed them to his Creation Records label- that band was Oasis. Stories like these have turned King Tuts into the premier venue to catch the next big thing on the cusp of musical greatness. It was no different last Thursday night, when Jagwar Ma graced a stage that has hosted the likes of The White Stripes, The Vaccines, and Florence and The Machine.

The sold-out crowd packed in to see the three man set-up of Gabriel Winterfield on lead vocals, guitar; and keys; Jono Ma as DJ; and Jack Freeman on bass. The crowd consisted of art-school intellectuals alongside football lads, a scene that can be attributed to Jagwar Ma’s eclectic appeal. The band performed a majority of their debut LP Howlin, alongside nods to their 90’s roots with Cranberries and Oasis teasers.

The band showcased why they really are the face of tomorrow. In a time when DJ’s playing loops on laptops sells out arenas, it is refreshing to see a band with finely crafted, Brian Wilson-esque melodies perform rock songs backed by a DJ plugging away the grooves and beats.

While additional live percussion would have been a treat, Jagwar Ma performed a dance-rock hybrid not seen since the Stone Roses. It is no surprise that Noel Gallagher himself has publicly pleaded with BBC Radio to play more of Jagwar Ma. Whether you’re a club rat or 60’s mod there is plenty to enjoy in their repertoire. Check out the critically acclaimed debut LP here

Images courtesy of David Dargahi and Clash Magazine