Premier League Round-Up: Ones to Watch

Who’s scoring and who’s boring?

With game week 6 having come to an end, here is my pick of the Premier League’s best performers so far:

1. Simon Mignolet

The Belgian international goalkeeper joined Liverpool after 90 caps with Sunderland. As the Reds have sought to rebuild the team and go for the silverware, Mignolet has played a key role. He has kept 3 clean sheets in 6 games and even saved a significant 89th minute penalty against Stoke on his debut, thereby securing Liverpool the much needed 3 points. The likes of Hart, Lloris, De Gea, Begovic and Cech are left statistically trailing behind; this has, to my delight, opened up a battle that has been relatively uncontested in recent years.

1. Aaron Ramsey

Well, what can I say? The 22 year-old Welshman has netted 4 goals in the last 6 matches, already quadrupling his 2012/2013 season total. He has come a long way since the shocking injury he suffered to this right leg in 2010. In the last three years he has recovered, gained experience and is now dictating the Arsenal midfield better than ever.

1. Daniel Sturridge

Chelsea made a grave error when they sold him to Liverpool at the end of the last season. He has become a goal-scoring machine (no doubt after enjoying total supremacy as an on-loan striker at Bolton), knocking in 5 goals since the beginning of the season.

1. Olivier Giroud

Together with Mesut Özil, he has revealed himself as Arsenal’s Messiah – a faint light in the long tunnel of mediocrity that the team has been trudging through since 2005. Pat Nevin’s recent BBC analysis of Giroud’s style of attack has revealed just how predatory he is. Having scored 4 goals so far, Arsenal is certainly hoping for more of the same.

1. Dejan Lovren

The Croatian has been simply outstanding. Together with his defensive partner Jose Fonte, the pair has kept 4 clean sheets and managed to score a goal each. No wonder Southampton are only 4 points from the top. Both players also hold 1st and 2nd places respectively on the Fantasy Premier League ‘Best Value’ leader board. Surely that must be some indication of their fantastic performance.

Image courtesy of 101greatgoals.com