Blind Date: Emerson and Rachael

It’s been a good year for The Stand‘s Blind Date… we’ve sent everyone from frisbee-catching “Seal F**cker” to one of the Other Guys to Ogstons to try their hand at some Bubble lovin’.  […]

It’s been a good year for The Stand‘s Blind Date… we’ve sent everyone from frisbee-catching “Seal F**cker” to one of the Other Guys to Ogstons to try their hand at some Bubble lovin’. 

For our last Blind Date of the year, we sent Emerson, a Management/Economics first year to meet the lovely Rachael, a first year who is bravely tackling an Arabic, Spanish, and International Relations degree. Emerson enjoys long walks on the beach, golfing, and volunteering. An avid skiier and drinker (probably not at the same time) from Burnley, Rachael strutted her stuff Kate Middleton-style as a DONT WALK model this year.

Rachael on Emerson

Before you met your date, what were you hoping for?

Well I’d been told his first name, so I put my Facebook-stalking skills into use (finely honed throughout the year) and ended up finding him! So I kind of went into the date with an unfair advantage… #prepared

First impressions?

PHWOAR!!!!

(Editors Note: We have no clue what that means either. Maybe it’s a Burnley thing?)

Any interesting conversation topics?

Yeah, apparently Reykjavik is an awesome place to go for a party, and we both decided that British people drink to excess, which I did nothing to disprove. Also, Emerson had never had sticky toffee pudding. Such a shame, but we remedied that quickly…

Awkward moments?

It was slightly awkward when I tried to pour us wine with the bottle cap still on…

Would you introduce your date to your friends?

Of course. But honestly? It’s St Andrews… everyone knows each other already anyway.

Rate your evening out of a ten.

8. It was a good night! 

Emerson on Rachael

What was your first impression of Rachael?

Well, I was hoping that I wasn’t roped into anything super awkward, but luckily Rachael has a bubbly personality, so it made things easy and enjoyable. I picked up on her *ahem* subtle accent from the beginning, so I knew she was from somewhere near Manchester.

Any awkward moments?

Not really – the free wine, which Rachael insisted I drink as quickly as her, helped with that. 

What was the most interesting thing that you learned about your date?

Rachael hopes to work in Spain this summer to improve her Spanish. Pretty cool.

What did you order to eat? To drink?

I’d never been to Oak Rooms before so I just copied Rachael’s choices. We both had fish and chips and then sticky toffee pudding for dessert, which I’d never had before. She chose well and the food was delicious.

Did you go on somewhere after the date…?

No, we both had to do some revising, so we just smoked together and parted ways.

Rate your evening out of a ten.

10. Rachael was very sweet and the Oak Rooms was a nice setting (even though we were surrounded by people my parents’ age).

Gutted that you missed out on the chance of true love on a Blind Date this year? E-mail us to get your name on the list for next year!

As ever, The Stand would like to extend a huge thank you to Ogstons on North Street for accomodating the Blind Date feature all year long. For a quality atmosphere and delicious food, call 01334473387 and book a table.