Five things you must do this week…Revision Special

Explore the sea-caves! Most people have probably been to the cave to the east of Castle Sands, but the real thing to do is to wait until low tide and […]

Explore the sea-caves!

Most people have probably been to the cave to the east of Castle Sands, but the real thing to do is to wait until low tide and then explore the sea-caves in the other direction. The stretch between the castle and aquarium great for finding sea-glass, interesting ocean detritus, and features a number of interesting caves, some of which are home to terrifying nesting birds and the occasional feral sustainable-development undergrad.

Hike to Creightoun Park (or ride yo bike there).

Newly re-opened! Creightoun park is hidden between the Dukes Golf course and a caravan park just outside of town. You can either hike there on the muddy continuation of the Lade Braes footpath, or make the less scenic bike ride. The park features a bouncy castle, miniature train, gardens and fields for picnicking, and a wee castle (currently controlled by pigeons) on a wee lake. Paddle and rowboats can be rented on the lake, but watch out for the belligerent swans.

Participate in a Psychology study.

EVERY WEDNESDAY MEMO EVER! But seriously, you get paid money to do some easy activity for a short span of time. Participate in a psychology study, help advance the sum of human knowledge in a small, potentially meaningless, way. If nothing else, you will probably come out of it with a funny story.

Shop second hand books.

Bouquiniste is probably the best, but most of other half-dozen bookstores in town are worth a visit. Reading a book not for your degree is also usually a good way to distract yourself from the crushing meaningless of our short lives amidst the vastness of the universe! Alternatively you could go into the delightfully overpriced curiosity shop on south street and buy something wyrrrrd. Because, as Michelle Bachman says, “books are really only good burning.”

Pier Walk (and wear it to church if you are so inclined).

How many times have you worn your red gown? If the number has two digits you are probably a superhero or involved with debating or some jazz like that. So put your red gown on and go to the Sunday service at St Salvators chapel (11am). Alternatively, you could host your own dark morning rituals for C’thuhlu and then catch up for the pier walk after the service. For extra adventure points, go on a Sunday when gale-force winds are blowing out of the south.