Five things you must do this week…

May Dip: Tradition has rolled around once again, and if you’ve stepped on the PH it’s time to rid yourself of your sin. Even if you haven’t, for some reason […]

May Dip: Tradition has rolled around once again, and if you’ve stepped on the PH it’s time to rid yourself of your sin. Even if you haven’t, for some reason jumping into the sea becomes an incredibly desirable thing to do on the morning of May 1st. Pre-MD, there are some great events lined up, from B-Sides at the Vic to Itchy Feet in Venue One. Good luck everybody, and remember warm clothes! Patrick Hamiliton didn’t suffer a gruesome death for you to die of hypothermia.

The Gaudie: Going hand-in-hand with the Dip and continuing the night of tradition, the Gaudie will set off from the Castle at 8pm. Grab your gowns and candles to be piped down the pier in honor of the heroics of 19th century champion, John Honey. For the fresh meat among us, Honey was a 19-year-old student who swam out to sea five times on the night of Januray 3rd, 1800 (brrrr), to rescue sailors from the sinking Janet of Macduff.  He survived, but died at the age of 32 from injuries sustained on that remarkable night. Fun fact: the Honey window, only visible from the organ loft in Sallies chapel, shows the brave lad wading into the sea.

Surf School: The weather is almost nice again, and as you’re really getting a taste for the water this week it’s the perfect time to take up surfing. With £5 off per lesson for students and your lesson free is you get 4 pals together, Oceanics@St Andrews is clearly the best choice out there. Contact info can be found here, and for all you pros out there the school also offers rentals of wetsuits and boards at £15 for an hour and a half. Bargain.

Puppy Therapy: Revision has officially begun, but who is really going to hit the books on the first day? Not us, because we will be cuddling puppies in Andrew Melville – yup, fresh little balls of Labrador fur, all in the name of healthy minds. Mental Wealth has joined paws with Guide Dogs Scotland, and the fluffy little visitors will be available for cuddles from 2 – 4pm. You will also have a chance to chat about what’s going on with student-led initiatives such as Nightline and Student Run Self Help, as well as signing up with the all-new Guide Dogs soc. Heaven is adorable canines.

Just So Cabaret: For only £3 this Monday, after you’re done with the puppies, the best singers and dancers St Andrews has to offer will be performing in Venue 2. In an effort to raise money for fringe shows by Just So’s Matt Gibson and Tim Foley, you can expect a good helping of laughs from JS’s stellar comedians, alongside musical numbers. Also free wine. Hurrah!

image  © standrewsfreshers.com