OTR review: Big Top Ball

On Saturday evening, the circus literally came to Lower College Lawn: St Andrews’ very first Big Top Ball. Run by the Charities Campaign and the final act of On The […]

On Saturday evening, the circus literally came to Lower College Lawn: St Andrews’ very first Big Top Ball. Run by the Charities Campaign and the final act of On The Rocks, it was an occasion rather hard to overlook.

The setting for the evening was an impressive red and yellow big top circus tent, making a change from Kinkell. Guests were greeted by stilt-walkers, fire-eaters and jugglers, setting the tone for the rest of the evening. The night was spread across 4 tents; the first with the large dance floor and bar, a second with a photo booth and face painting, then two tents for food and drink. Although perhaps the tents weren’t set up in the best way (the largest seemed to be the least full for the start of the night), there was a busy atmosphere.

The Big Top organisers ensured that everyone’s appetites were satisfied with free Janetta’s ice cream in fun flavours such as cookie dough, Ferrero Rocher and Turkish Delight. Getting in the true circus spirit, popcorn and candy-floss were also being sold and if that wasn’t enough, the Baking Society sold cookies, pretzels and a rather impressive rainbow cake even if it was a little pricey (£1 for a cookie). The Union Bar was on hand providing free beer, which was generally more of a perk for the lads amongst us.

The night’s dress code of ‘black tie with a circus twist’ produced some interesting takes, with some guests really going to town with top hats, fascinators and even extravagant floor length dresses. For the less imaginative amongst us (or for those like me with far less exciting wardrobes) face paint was a great option. It was hugely popular with butterflies, tigers and flowers teeming about everywhere.

One of the night’s highlights was the performance from The Black Sheep Music Society who entertained guests with their versions of favourites such as Sweet Home Alabama and even a rendition of everyone’s favourite guilty pleasure The Bad Touch. DJs Tom Burns and Jamie Carson finished off the night with a set to a packed dance floor.

Despite the rumour circulating that an elephant would be making an appearance proving false (sad face), for £25, Big Top Ball was definitely one where guests got their money’s worth. It was more than just a dance in a different setting, and the organisers had put a lot of effort into creating an enjoyable fundraiser for the charities campaign. And what a fab way to round off the week’s imaginative and lively On The Rocks festival.

Headline image ©Lightbox Creative St Andrews