OTR Review: Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar was probably one of the most anticipated shows going up during this year’s On the Rocks festival, due in part to the fact that it is Shakespeare. But […]

Julius Caesar was probably one of the most anticipated shows going up during this year’s On the Rocks festival, due in part to the fact that it is Shakespeare. But has it lived up to the hype, or did it feel more like a stab in the back?

Venue 2 had been turned into a theatre in the round, which, apart from a few blocking problems, was an interesting way to use the space. Director Benji Bailey’s bold modernisation set the play firmly in the 21st century. Whilst Shakespeare in suits is often too obvious, Bailey’s use of minimalism and cool jazz music really paid off. Props were eschewed for mime, and this interesting directorial decision largely paid off thanks to the actors’ complete commitment to the style.

The play’s greatest asset was its actors. By drawing out the character’s troubled state of mind, Chris Cannell created a fascinating and well-developed Brutus layered with psychological realism. Whilst his diction was at times unclear, his physicality was outstanding. He lost some of his magic after the intermission, but his death scene was stirring. Tom Vanson (Cassius) was seductive and nuanced, providing a truly memorable performance. Really, he stole the show. Cooper Goldman (Caesar) had good stage presence but put on a strange accent, and he could probably have made a greater impression. Baxter Gaston (Mark Antony) was somewhat underwhelming, but competent. Calder Hudson (Casca) got off to a slow start, tripping over his words, but eventually managed to build a convincing character. Caterina Giammarresi (Portia) was as charming as ever.

One of the play’s biggest issues was its slow pacing; the action seemed to drag at times, making the audience occasionally lose focus. And at a run-length just shy of three hours, any slip in pacing was dangerous. One solution would have been to cut the script down more significantly. That said, the cast’s control of difficult Shakespearean dialect should be commended.

One really bizarre directorial decision was to play some scenes for laughs. Normally, this was odd but not damaging; but when the cast started pulling funny faces and yelling weird comments out during the famous Mark Antony funeral oration, it became too much. Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war — but not during that speech!

Image