ReScore: Whats the deal?

David from the ReScore team fills us in on the inspiration behind the event and prepares us for a night of cinematic musical fun. So can you tell us a […]

David from the ReScore team fills us in on the inspiration behind the event and prepares us for a night of cinematic musical fun.

So can you tell us a little more about what re-score is?

Rescore is an attempt to re-imagine the soundtrack of a film. We are trying to show that film scoring is a crucial element to a films character and development. We want to bring the music alive to the moving pictures right in front of your eyes.

Six musicians will have prepared their own compositions and arrangements for the movie weeks in advance to the show. We will have practiced and developed our ideas to specific cues in the film. At the night the audience will watch No Country For Old Men and we will perform our creations live. It’ll be an amazing experience for us and hopefully you.

What was the inspiration behind the project?

Film scoring is an interesting medium to experiment and consolidate new forms of musical ideas. Some scores can experiment with niche musical ideas and bring them to an interested mass audience. Its exciting. For example, look at Hans Zimmers’ score for Mission Impossible: 2, a mediocre movie, yet the score is probably the most interesting and diverse musical experience you will ever listen to. Yet performing scores live is rare, so we wanted to try it out.

Image

Why No Country for Old Men?

We love the movie. We sat down and watched it, and could think of so many different types of scores to add to it: synth pop, country music, abstract strings ensembles, experimental noise soundscapes, etc etc. So we decided to use it. It allows our composers to add their own style and taste to the score. Also, it doesn’t have a score. We do understand that this has a certain cinematic effect, yet the point of this event is to experiment with the combination of sound and video. We want to add our own flair to the movie and that’s what its all about.

So the experience will be different, and engaging. You’ll hear different styles and ideas from the different people that have worked on this: Nic, Patrick, James, Benoit, Oscar and myself.

You can get all the info right here.

image © aswedetalksmovies.comheadline image  © Benoit Grogan-Avignon