Five things you must listen to: Summertime

1) Summertime James Brown & Martha High The classic Gershwin track is a must have on any summer playlist. There are multiple versions but this one oozes cool and drama with […]

1) Summertime James Brown & Martha High

The classic Gershwin track is a must have on any summer playlist. There are multiple versions but this one oozes cool and drama with beautiful vocals from the King of Funk , Mr James Brown and Miss Martha High. Loving the speech breaks in the middle too.

2) Sweet Life Frank Ocean

If you aren’t listening to Frank Ocean then you’ve obviously been hiding under a rock. This new R&B artist shows his full potential on the channelOrange album and this track highlights his soulful, African roots. “Why see the world when you’ve got the beach?”

3) The Girls in their Summer Dresses The Airborne Toxic Event

Bonus track from the otherwise melancholy LA-based band. Sit back and enjoy the subtle tones of Mikel & co while they reminisce about summer dresses and summer love. The live version of this has a particularly hilarious intro too.

4) Mr Blue Sky Electric Light Orchestra

Classic feel good summer track from Electric Light Orchestra that calls for sunglasses, shorts and a road trip somewhere. Not until exams are over though…

5) Summertime Fresh Prince & DJ Jazzy Jeff

With the 90’s back in fashion there is no one better to have on a summer playlist. Using the synth from Kool and The Gang’s Summer Madness and the notorious lyrics of the Fresh Prince, there is no way not to like this. Knowing every word of this is one of my achievements in life. You should make it yours.

image  © tumblr.com