STAR Spotlight: Cassowary Sounds

First of all, describe your show in a Twitter-friendly 140 characters: Shimmering sounds & free noise. Mondays 10-11 p.m. 1. What makes STAR unique amongst the many student media platforms […]

First of all, describe your show in a Twitter-friendly 140 characters:

Shimmering sounds & free noise. Mondays 10-11 p.m.

1. What makes STAR unique amongst the many student media platforms in St Andrews?

Primarily its ephemeral nature – with music shows like mine they can’t be podcast (because of music rights) so people only hear it live or never at all. This gives you the freedom to perform rather than face the kind of scrutiny that you get in other forms of media.

2. Who’s your dream guest?

Björk – she encapsulates all that is creative & beautiful about music. She also has a gorgeous voice that would make my listeners swoon.

3. What’s the most exciting thing happening on STAR radio at the moment?

My show obviously! Aside from that, probably the redevelopment. I heard rumours that we may have to broadcast from the Bute, which is fine as long as we get to have the studio in that bizarre museum there. Broadcasting amongst all those taxidermy birds… imagine that.

Image

4. If you could team up with any other STAR presenter who would it be?

Oscar Swedrup, he’s a sexy man and we had some good times presenting the Music is Love show last year, although he does have an awful tendency to play Bruce Springsteen.

5. What has been your most bizarre moment in the STAR studio?

My most bizarre moment in the studio was probably competing to do the best cassowary impression with two of my guests. Mine was impeccable. During the same show the music system crashed so I left my guests to read out poetry. After running through the Union for five minutes I found Oscar in the car park and he managed to fix it. We just about held it together.

6. The Union is beginning to undergo redevelopment. What one item would you like installed in a revamped STAR studio?

I would like a bar in there…. not that I ever drink during my show… ever…

7. What do you make of the local music scene in St Andrews? Any acts we should look out for?

It’s really rather good, the best way to hear great music is on STAR (especially on Monday nights) or through Music is Love. I would recommend Hamish Hawk. I’m not usually into the whole singer/ songwriter thing but there’s a wit to his lyrics and sharpness to his tunes that stands out. I’d also recommend checking out the Moon, the Son & the Daughters. They aren’t all based around St Andrews but they have been known to gig here & I’ve seen them enough times in London to qualify for true groupee status.

8. And finally…Your top zombie apocalypse tip?

“Learn the dance moves to Thriller.”

Tune into James’ show, ‘Cassowary Sounds’, to keep up to date with some of the best alternative music from St Andrews and beyond. Monday 10-11pm