India Doyle: Boris Johnson for Prime Minister?

The documentary on Boris Johnson, The Irresistible Rise, pulled in over two million viewers when it aired on the BBC last Monday. No doubt, this was in part due to […]

The documentary on Boris Johnson, The Irresistible Rise, pulled in over two million viewers when it aired on the BBC last Monday. No doubt, this was in part due to the media coverage generated prior to the event through his interview with Eddie Mair.

Boris Johnson is the king of PR. He is a one man whizz kid when it comes to cultivating a media persona. In Boris’ case, this is a distinctively bumbling persona, which allows him to get away with everything.

Here is a man that can weather having his private life continuously scrutinised, being called “a nasty piece of work” on national television, and endure the musings of his sister, without having to issue an apologetic public statement, or resign. In a culture where politics is dictated by the media, that is no mean feat. Here is man too though that clearly wants to be Prime Minister, despite his terrible acting to suggest the contrary.

The question is: would that be such a bad thing?

I’m not here to discuss Boris’ politics per se, but more the qualities which would make him a good leader.

Namely, I think the fact that he is Mayor of London is a very positive string in his proverbial bow. Boris is clearly right wing. Under his leadership, tube and bus fares have increased making transport almost unaffordable. By nature of being a student, and believing in equality and access for all (obviously), this is not the type of person that I want running the country. Yes, he introduced ‘Boris bikes’ and oversaw the Olympics but those are hardly testament to his prime ministerial capabilities.

The fact that he is Mayor though does allow for a real experience of running one of the most multi-cultural and vibrant capitals in the world. Being Mayor surely equips you for the needs and wants of a larger cross section of individuals more than being MP of a county in South East England (aka Dave C). If Boris were to become Prime Minister, he would at least have relevant and in depth experience that he’s earned outside of Downing Street.

As I have noted, he is also indestructible in the face of the media. This means that he will not necessarily bend his policies when the Daily Mail publishes angry headlines. Not that I am championing a dictator that doesn’t listen to public opinion, but he might finally be a man who does not blither around, trying to appease everyone with the constant introduction of new Bills that are then revoked two days later. On the flip side, should I be championing a man that doesn’t care about what ‘the people’ think? Should we trust a man who is so obviously good at manipulation? Those are the great philosophical questions of our time said the reader, never.

Finally though, if Boris did indeed become Prime Minister he would also be slightly older. Again, age is of course no signifier of wisdom (I should know) but it allows him to have had more experience, which can only be a good thing.

What I’m saying really is that despite the fact that we would have Boris Johnson as Prime Minister, it might be good to have a man (one day, a woman #feminism) who has had some proper experience, sticks to his guns and isn’t afraid to do things differently.