It’s still snowing: AW trends 2013/14

Following the last snowy few days we’ve been experiencing, who can be blamed for looking forward a few months to the AW13/14 trends? These past fashion weeks have demonstrated a […]

Following the last snowy few days we’ve been experiencing, who can be blamed for looking forward a few months to the AW13/14 trends? These past fashion weeks have demonstrated a wild mix of worldwide muses, making sure that there’s a little bit of something to tickle everyone’s fashion pickle.

VICTORIANA

Starting at home, Alexander McQueen turned to the Virgin Queen for their inspiration. Think ornate chin-high collars and busselled skirts. The church aesthetic was also drawn upon, resulting in something described as encompassing the ‘excesses of Catholicism”. Burton’s pre-fall was all about simplistic purity but this time it was all grand and it was all gold.

Image

Though McQueen wasn’t the only fashion house using the Church as a divine stimulus…

ART IS FASHION

Art History students, look no further for your visual analysis revision than the beginning of Dolce and Gabbana’s show. Inspired by the deliciously golden mosaics featured in Sicily’s Cathedral of Monreal. Think heavy garments, adorned with artwork and sequins that are sure to get you a first when worn at presentations.

Also seen at: Just Cavalli, Bottega Veneta

Just Cavalli

Bottega Veneta

SHOULDER… cleavage(?)

Last season it was all about the ankle cleavage and now we’re looking forward to getting our shoulders out. It may be cold around Autumn-Winter but strapless tops were seen everywhere. To keep it practical when the sun isn’t shining, think about wearing on top of a collared shirt for a new take on the sartorial look or layer with fur, as seen at Marni.

Also seen at: Stella McCartney and J.W. Anderson

Stella McCartney

JW Anderson

GIRLS ARE BOYS

Always a fan of a tailored blazer, we’re now increasing our outreach to the boys’ trouser department. See it as rebelling against the brazen femininity of spring and embrace this androgynous trend.

Seen at: Vanessa Bruno, Trussardi, Viktor and Rolf and Chloe

Vanessa Bruno

Trussardi

Viktor and Rolf

SEEING RED

Wanting to update your tired, old red gown? Look no further than the aforementioned Dolce and Gabbana show. Playing off their Italian family aesthetic, oodles of red lace was used to create some fantastic pieces, tying the Victoriana trend to something all together more striking.

Possible red gown alternative…?

Architectural Side Note: Largerfeld and his team constructed a giant globe within the Grand Palais at Paris Fashion Week and marked Chanel’s boutiques worldwide with teenie, tiny lights demonstrating its international outreach. It may not be Linlithgow Palace but it still made quite an impact.

Headline image ©’The Guardian’