STEPS towards bringing Palestinian students to St A

Freddie Fforde has announced today that the Students’ Association would pledge £2,000 towards the cost of bringing Palestinian students to St Andrews. This announcement comes just as STEPS (St Andrews […]

Freddie Fforde has announced today that the Students’ Association would pledge £2,000 towards the cost of bringing Palestinian students to St Andrews.

This announcement comes just as STEPS (St Andrews Education for Palestinian Students) launches its 2013 appeal for funds. STEPS is an independant charity established in 2011. It’s aim is to provide daily maintenance and travel expenses for Palestinian students studying at St Andrews. The campaign has already been smiled upon by the university, as they have pledged to waive the tuition fees of two students if STEPS can cover their other expenses, a minimum of £7,200 per student.

Elizabeth Stitts, STEPS representative, recognizes the impact of the Association’s donation: “We are so grateful to the Students’ Association for placing the possibility of a life-changing event on the table for a Palestinian student – who would not otherwise be able to benefit from postgraduate education.”

Freddie Fforde agreed, saying, “We’re delighted that we are able to help support a student this year, and welcome the opportunity to join the STEPS steering committee. My thanks go especially to those who have fundraised for our Overseas Scholarship in past years, thus making this donation possible.”

Do you want to help STEPS or get involved? Check out their website here.

Image courtesy of stepspalestine.org.uk