The Stand’s onesie winner: Life in a Onesie

The proud Stand winner of a bengal tiger ‘kigurumi’, to use the correct terminology, from onesie specialists kigs.co.uk, Rina has incited a lot of jealousy from other Stand readers. First […]

The proud Stand winner of a bengal tiger ‘kigurumi’, to use the correct terminology, from onesie specialists kigs.co.uk, Rina has incited a lot of jealousy from other Stand readers. First year Lily Belk commented, ‘I wish I could have won one. They look so very warm and nice.’ Teresa Barros-Bailey agreed: ‘I left mine at home in Idaho, and it was the worst mistake of my life’. We’re sorry, Teresa. Here’s Rina’s story:

Since onesies started to be a “thing” a few years ago, I’ve watched my friends lounge around in various interestingly-coloured and patterned creations, looked on in confusion as the Lizard put on a “£1 in a onesie” night and the streets of St Andrews filled with drunk onesie-wearing students… Until now, I’ve never actually owned a onesie myself. So, what better time to get acquainted with the onesie than by entering a competition to win one on The Stand? And, my first experience with a onesie did not disappoint.

The KIGS tiger onesie is big, it’s warm, it’s cuddly, it’s easy to button up, it has huge pockets, and the tiger tail and ears were a nice, authentic tiger, finishing touch. Rather confusingly, the label states that “misuse of the product’s tail/ears may lead to injury” – I wonder exactly what type of misuse they were thinking of?

Trying it on for the first time in my rather cold room on a rather cold St Andrews day certainly brought a smile to my face: not only is a big soft onesie practically made for cold weather like what we’re so often subjected to up here, but it is a scientifically proven fact that it is physically impossible to be unhappy while dressed in a gigantic furry costume. I mean, if you ever get sad, all you need to do is look at yourself in the mirror and swish your tail around and go “RAWWWR! I’m a tiger!”, and then suddenly everything becomes better. True story.

So, thank you to The Stand and KIGS for the excellent onesie – I foresee myself spending many happy evenings in with me, my tiger, a duvet, a cup of tea and some trashy TV. What could be better than that?