What to wear: Oktoberfest

Oktoberfest has finally arrived and the outifit hunt is as manic as ever. The Stand gives you a few tips on how to find that perfect ensemble. For many, a […]

Oktoberfest has finally arrived and the outifit hunt is as manic as ever. The Stand gives you a few tips on how to find that perfect ensemble. For many, a dirndl or lederhosen gets more uses than just to show off your legs in the Scottish sun. However, there are a few yet to find that perfect dress or even those who need something for heading down to the Oktoberfest in Munich.

Girls

For girls it is the traditional dirndl comprised of a bodice, blouse, skirt and apron which originally was the working uniform of 19th Century Austrian servants. These dresses can be bought online although they still do remain quite pricy if you want good quality. There are no rules about colour or length but younger non-Bavarian girls do tend to opt for knee-high length skirts where as the more traditional length is mid-calf. More recently the side to which you have tied the knot for your apron can show your relationship status. So girls tie to the left if you want to be whisked of your feet for some frisky German loving and to the right if you are already taken.

Image

There is also the option of wearing female lederhosen and sometimes, in a large group of girls especially, one girl will wear these lederhosen whilst her friends will don the dresses.

Guys

It’s pretty simple. Lederhosen. Add a check shirt – colour of your choice, lucky thing – maybe a hat and most certainly a mug of beer and you’ll do just fine. Sunglasses, judging by last year’s weather, wouldn’t go a miss either.

You can buy all of this online and to a varying degree of price. Oktoberfest-Dirndl has a wide range of clothing and accessories as well as the added bonus a rapid express delivery service! Alpenwahnsinn is another online stockist which offers great deals in their sale section.

Prost!

headline image © amusingplanet.com