Applications for On the Rocks Volunteering: Get Involved!

On the Rocks is back in 2013 for its fifth year, and applications for volunteering are now open! The festival incorporates art, photography, film, theatre, dance, music and comedy, hosting […]

On the Rocks is back in 2013 for its fifth year, and applications for volunteering are now open! The festival incorporates art, photography, film, theatre, dance, music and comedy, hosting over 40 events annually – the majority of which are sell-out performances.

The first On the Rocks festival took place in April 2009, when a group of students decided that the annual film and theatre festivals should collaborate to create one bigger, better event. The event was designed to showcase not only the best of drama and filmmaking in St Andrews, but also to provide a platform to demonstrate the creative talent of artists, photographers, dancers, musicians and comedians.

The initiative attracted the attention of several influential actors and actresses who signed up as festival patrons, including Sean Connery, Judi Dench, Helen Mirren, Joanna Lumley and Simon Pegg. On the Rocks 2012 hosted events such as the Sitara fashion show, a screening of the award-winning ‘Ebony Road’ by Maia Krall Fry, a concert by the St Andrews Symphony Orchestra and a special performance of Macbeth at the St Andrews Castle, a production which was brought to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival over the summer.

On the Rocks festival has grown over the years to become the largest student-run arts festival in Scotland. This year’s festival will be taking place from 6th-14th April 2013. On the Rocks have also collaborated with Lightbox this year who will be the official event photographers for the week. There is an exciting lineup of events, including several theatre events such as ‘The Sugar Syndrome’ by Lucy Prebble, an award winning drama; ‘Just As It Is’ by Alice Shearon, a student written comedy; and ‘Bitter Root’ by Joanna Alpern, a student written drama.

Other events range from the Sitara fashion show, a Blind Mirth Sketch Show, The St Andrews Revue (sketch comedy), an A Cappella concert, an open mic night, a Fine Food Photography workshop. The full lineup of events will be released closer to the festival date. 

On the Rocks are recruiting student volunteers for the festival, which is a great way to get involved with the show and gain experience in the arts. Applications are now open and close Wednesday, 6th March. Volunteers can apply online and are being recruited for a wide range of roles including ushers, box office staff and general assistants. Any questions regarding volunteering can be directed to Kathryn Cherkas, our volunteer coordinator who you can email here or for more information visit the On the Rocks website or Facebook page