The sporting spotlight falls on women’s hockey

The University of St Andrews’ Women’s Hockey Club is nothing short of successful. Although the second half of the season is well under way, there is much to say about […]

The University of St Andrews’ Women’s Hockey Club is nothing short of successful. Although the second half of the season is well under way, there is much to say about the popular Saints team. There are currently four sides to the club and an exciting social scene that brings the players together, notably the upcoming Hockey Ball on March 9th.

The 1st XI has been experiencing a season full of ups and downs and has had some disappointing losses. Although they are currently at the bottom of the BUCs Scottish 1A league, captain Clara McGhee states, “We’re hoping the 2nd half of the season will be far more successful as we have the talent to do very well as a team. As we start the 2nd half of the season we are really looking to build on what we achieved last semester and start picking up the wins we deserve”. The 1sts have also been fortunate enough to have a new coach this season, something that the team as a whole has had to adapt to, but nonetheless is working out well. The new coach has brought in several positive changes such as extra fitness sessions and a new strength and conditioning programme, which has resulted in a marked improvement for the overall team fitness. This is bound to reflect in future matches. The 1st XI has much to look forward to in the upcoming matches, which include Strathclyde Uni on 2nd March, and Edinburgh Uni on 6th March .

The 2nd XI, despite drawing a majority of their matches, has been having a fun year. The team has been successful due to concordant dedication, especially from players such as Kim Milligan and Alex Hinsley, who have yet to miss a match. Wednesday nights and team lunches have helped the team to bond immensely. The rest of the season is going to be focused on scoring more goals and preparing for upcoming Midlands matches. As for the BUCS league, they are currently sitting in 2nd/3rd place behind Edinburgh teams. The girls will face off against Edinburgh 3’s on  27th February.

The 3rd XI have been having a very successful season. They are currently at the top of the Midlands 2 League and are 2nd in the BUCS league. The team has scored over 100 goals this season, which is no mean feat. Unfortunately there were quite a lot of injuries last semester, so they are hoping to have fewer this season. There is a majority of newer players on the team, but there has been great team play and dynamics from the start. Upcoming fixtures include the semi-final of the BUCS Scottish conference plate against Glasgow 4’s on 6th March. The team is looking to dominate and progress to the finals in Aberdeen.

Although they have been having a difficult season, the 4th XI’s captain, Hannah Holmes, accounts this to the fact that the team has been slightly too casual. Things may be turning around though, with their first win of the season against Heriot Watt, 6-0. There is also the new addition of a regular goalie. Despite the ups-and-downs the team has a great social atmosphere and is very welcoming. The hopes for the team for the rest of the season score some more goals, and make the team a bit more respectable. 

Cover photo © of www.dooyoo.co.uk